PDA

View Full Version : ID Help

dchou
11/01/2002, 04:28 AM
Hey guys,

I was looking in my tank tonight after I had turned off the lights for about 3 hours and I saw these 2 ribbons about and inch and a half long coming out of a hole in my LV. I turned on the light to get a better look and the ribbon tenticles retracted back into the small hole. I did see that the ribbon tenticles where a translucent blue color. Anyone, have an idea as to what this may be? They were just waving around before I turned on the lights. I will try to get a picture if I see it again.

Thanks,
Dave

MalHavoc
11/01/2002, 08:38 AM
Did they have "feet"? Were they just long and slender?

If they just looked like pieces of sphaghetti, they might have been peanut worms. They are detrius eaters that are harmless to your reef tank.

dchou
11/01/2002, 11:36 AM
I don't think they have feet. I had another look at it and it looks more like a flat forked tongue that is coming out of a hole in the rock. I tried to get a pic, but once I turn on the lights it retracts back into the hole and I can't see it anymore. When it is out it looks like it is feeling around the rock looking for food. I have never heard of this critter before.

-Dave

rldavis
11/01/2002, 11:49 AM
I know what you have! :) We've got one too. It's called an Echiuran Worm. Here's a link (http://www.rshimek.com/odd_critters.htm#Ribbon%20Worms%20or%20Nemerteans) to some more information about them on Dr. Ron's website. Scroll down the page a little bit and you'll see it.

They're pretty cool huh?

Becky

dchou
11/01/2002, 07:11 PM
YES! that is exactly what it is. It is pretty cool. I was just curious as to what it was when I first saw it. It was kind of freaky...this tongue going crazy all over the rock.

Thanks,
Dave