PDA

View Full Version : Shrimp eating my tube anemone??? help?

Swirlygig
11/11/2007, 08:21 PM
Well I bought this GORGEOUS large Pink TUBE Anemone yesterday. He wasn't staying planted in the sand...The current was just blowing him out...So I said screw it today and wasn't in a hurry to try and reseat him...Well, I get home tonight and I found my peppermint shrimp had eaten a 1/2" hole in his foot base and was picking at him...:(

I don't know what to do! The shrimp is still in my tank and I took the anemone and seated him in the sand over on the other side of my tank where there was less current...How hardy are these guys? I really want him to live!...:'(

Now how do I grab that @#$#$@# shrimp and his partner in crime...any ideas?

If i can't catch the shrimp, I have a very small critter keeper I can put him in till he heals and not have his foot in the sand???...

Thanks,

Jeff

Swirlygig
11/11/2007, 08:22 PM
I also now think this damn shrimp was involved in devouring my paly's...@#$#$%^ I feel a bit better now...The joys of this hobby!

ugh!

MIKE ALERS
11/11/2007, 08:26 PM
tube anemones are pretty hardy.but the fact that your shrimp ate part of its foot...might be fatal.

dugg
11/11/2007, 08:33 PM
As for seating the tube anemone, i used to have one, and i just burried him completely in the sand. It would take him about a day or so, and he would pop right up.

The peppermint, once they start eating corals, there isn't much hope for them. You may be able to catch him in a trap, but they are pretty tough to get out. The last one i had ate probably $200 worth of rics before my watchman goby made a meal of him. Don't feed the fish for a few days and they will start looking at him like a big ole mysis shrimp lol.

dugg
11/11/2007, 08:40 PM
Oh, and the tube anemones are pretty tough. He should recover if the shrimp doesn't finish eating him. You will wish he had been eaten before long anyway lol. If you watch at night you will see that he has tentacles that can extend about 12 inches or more, and has a really nasty sting to him. Mine left scars on my clowns.

skinnyjoe1976
11/12/2007, 06:38 AM
just a stupid question is the shrimp a peppermint or camel? got a pic?

sytanek
11/12/2007, 07:49 AM
Very good question. They look very similar and have often been sold as the wrong species.

Swirlygig
11/12/2007, 12:58 PM
I caught both of the bastards feasting this morning on the anemone and put them in the critter keeper...they are peppermint I beleive...^_^
I am thinking of a shrimp stew!

sytanek
11/12/2007, 04:08 PM
Camelback Shrimp = It usually tolerates other shrimp, but may nip at colonial anemones, disc anemones, and soft leather corals. It generally leaves bubble coral and stinging anemones alone.

Thats why we are asking. Fits the situation perfectly :)

sytanek
11/12/2007, 04:09 PM
Peppermint -
http://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_11_03/images/511_pepp10.jpg

Camelback -
http://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_11_03/images/329_camel2.jpg

Swirlygig
11/12/2007, 05:59 PM
Nope def a peppermint! 1st pick!

I hate to say it, but they are peppermints that are eating stuff...sigh

sytanek
11/12/2007, 08:59 PM