PDA

View Full Version : Euro-Reef HELP

Tbrew
10/31/2002, 08:59 PM
I just finished setting up my 125gallon tank and turned everything on. My Euroreef CS6-1 is going nuts!!!! It's filling up and spitting out water and foam, the lid is popping off!!!!
This is my first experience with saltwater so I don't know what to do. The cup is filling up with water, it doesn't make sense to turn the skimmer off every min to dump the water.

HELP PLEASE

MalHavoc
10/31/2002, 10:02 PM
if the foam is really wet, try raising the height of the collection cup or decrease the pump rate through the skimmer. the foam should be nice and stiff, almost dry, a dark brown/coffee colour. If you're making "tea" the foam is too wet.

Mako
10/31/2002, 10:08 PM
You need to lower the adjustment on the riser pipe next to the unit. (the one with the foam sleeve on it) Lower it down all the way to start. See if the skimmer stops overflowing. If so, raise it slowly till you see the bubbles in the neck just below the collection cup. On my CS8-2 my riser pipe is set where the top is just even with the bottom of the PVC union on the skimmer.

HTH

Tbrew
10/31/2002, 10:39 PM
I can't control the pump that came with it. The riser is set all the way down.

It is kicking water up into the cup and overflowing back into sump

URGH......

Mako
10/31/2002, 11:35 PM
Hmmm, what is the water level in your sump? Were you running a skimmer before you added the Euroreef? Certain things in the water will cause your skimmer to go nuts like that. (like red slime remover) You may have to pinch your venturi airline to restrict airflow to the sedra for awhile so you can control the bubble output in the skimmer. Kink it and see if you can adjust the level that way and use a rubber band to hold it.

tngo0001
11/01/2002, 03:19 AM
I recently put the same skimmer that you have in my setup. A few things to keep in mind (as advised by others)

1) Make sure that the air intake hose is not submerged under water

2) Water level in your sump should be 6-8".

HTH

Tbrew
11/01/2002, 06:18 AM
The water level is 8"
If I restrict flow of air tube hooked to pump, top wants to blow off
even faster.

Here is another run down of problem.

I just turned it off to dump the WATER out of the cup.
When I turn it on, there is a TON of foam building up in chamber....when it rises, the foam turns to water and collects in cup.....the cup then gets full and the lid starts to bob up and down, spitting water everywhere.......

The riser is at it's lowest position.........the water level is 8"..........
restricting air to pump doesn't work

I AM LOST

jersey
11/01/2002, 07:06 AM
Something in the water may be the cause of your skimmer woes. Have you used epoxy, stress coat or any other additives?

The only time mine ever overflowed was when I used a new unrinsed filter sock from my return. I washed the sock, cleaned the skimmer and things returned to normal after a few hrs. Keep the riser tube in the lowest position. HTH

Tbrew
11/01/2002, 08:58 AM
i used 80% rodi water and 20% tap water and I used tetra easy balance to get rid of the chlorine. Do you think the tetra easy balance is the problem? And if so, how do I get rid of it?

Mako
11/01/2002, 09:35 AM
Why are you using Tetra Easy Balance in a saltwater aquarium? If memory serves me correctly isn't this stuff only to be used for freshwater systems?

Stop using it! Start doing water changes with just RO/DI and don't worry about the chlorine. If your RO/DI unit is working properly it takes care of eliminating all of that. If you are worried about chlorimines then use zip drop's or Amquel.

The Tetra Easy Balance has a lot of additives and conditioners in it and I would bet that is the cause of your skimmer woes.