PDA

View Full Version : Drilling your own aquarium

sailfintang
11/11/2007, 01:01 PM
Here are the instructions on how to drill any type of drain hole into your own aquarium for over flow purpose or if you builiding a breeder sytem or even a coral propagation setup with multiple tanks.

Here are some important things to remember:

1. You can not drill TEMPERED GLASS aquariums!!

2. Contact the manufacturere of the aquarium to get a list of aquariums that have tempered glass and ones that don't. I know AGA will assist you with this just
contact the customer service department.

3. You will need a diamond drill bit and drill. I recommend the website below for ordering a diamond drill bit mine works wonderfully.

http://www.diamond-drill-bit-and-tool.com/Diamond-Drill/Default.htm?main_rt.htm

4. Wear protective eyewear

Equipment needed;

1. Diamond drill bit
2. Drill
3. Protective eyewear
4. Tank
5. 2 pieces of wood
6. Water
7. Mold for drilling

Instructions to drill bottom:

1. Place the tank on top of the two wood boards so the glass can fall from the tank and your bit does not drill into anything other than glass.

2. Fill the tank with about and inch to two inches of water. This will help keep the diamond bit from overheating when drilling the glass.

3. Place a already drilled mold in to your tank where you want to drill your drain hole. I like to use a pice of wood that I have drilled a round hole in large enough for my diamond bit to fit through so it will not move when drilling comenses.

4. Begin drilling slowly at first to establish a groove then stadily increase. If you here a screeching noise that is normal. Do not push down on the drill that could cause cracking, allow the bit to do the work. Do not ever allow the drill to go max speed or cracking may occur. Slow and steady wins the race here.

5. The glass should fall out from the bottom followed by the water. Once this occurs stop drilling and check the hole. It may appear a bit rough. If so use some sand paper to smooth out any sharp areas. You can now apply bulkheads or other PVC fittings you desire.

Instructions to drill the sides:

1. You will need to stand the aquarium upright and drill form the outside to the inside.

2. Trace an outline of the bit where you want to drill your hole with a sharpie or other marker. Dont worry if its permenant you can remove it with a razor blade from the glass.

3. You will need some modeling clay or another type of material to create a moat around your outline/drill bit to fill with water to prevent over heating of the bit.

4. Begin drilling slowly at first to establish a groove then stadily increase. If you here a screeching noise that is normal. Do not push down on the drill that could cause cracking, allow the bit to do the work. Do not ever allow the drill to go max speed or cracking may occur. Slow and steady wins the race here.

5. Read step 5 above.

Remember to use the correct size diamond bit for bulkhead fittings or you may end up with a drilled tank that you can't use. Below is a size chart regarding bulkhead fittings and the hole size needed for that fitting.

Bulkhead Hole Diameter
1/2" 1-1/8"
3/4" 1-1/2"
1" 1-3/4"

Example: If you want a 1/2' hole you will need a 1-1/8' diamond bit and so on.

Its always best to practice on a cheap 10 or 20 gallon aquarium before trying this on a more expensive one. You can then add accessories like your own over flow box, drain pipe, and return pipes. Enjoy best of luck.

808-340
11/11/2007, 01:12 PM
Good post!

h20cooled
11/11/2007, 03:11 PM
Nice right up; but that site you listed is very expensive. Take a look on eBay sometime for glass hole saws and you can find kits of 8 to 10 for the same price as that site has 1.

Rich

IPT
11/11/2007, 05:06 PM
2nd the Ebay. 5$ for a bit, but it'll wear quick. I got 5 holes out of mine, but for 5 bucks it was perfect.

808-340
11/11/2007, 05:30 PM
yeah... i too used the e-bay diamond hole saw drill bits... good prices

iairj84
11/11/2007, 05:46 PM
I would say this is a good DIY although I would reccomend not letting the glass fall out, it can sometimes cause small cracks and chips from falling before it's funny cutout. Use duct tape to hold it there until you're ready.

sailfintang
11/11/2007, 05:48 PM
ebay is good for many things but 5 holes is not many from a diamond bit. I am well over 10 with mine and it is still going strong. OSmetimes the extra dollar is worth it in the long run. No point to get a new but every 5 holes when one can last and should last into the fifties if you use it properly.

iairj84
11/11/2007, 05:50 PM
How often are you going to need to drill 50 holes? a $5 saw that will drill 5 is worth it for most people. Especially if you need two different sizes and those other one's are $50-60 a piece generally for a good one.

funman1
11/11/2007, 08:23 PM
I have drilled like 40 holes with my ebay $5.00 bit?
Yeah it does not cut as fast as it used to but works JUST FINE..

Here is my video of drilling..
Just do it outside with a hose and no dam needed and it will keep cold fresh water coming..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMctXz7GraU