PDA

View Full Version : *I Need a Job* (OT)

seth16
11/09/2007, 11:07 AM
Since August, Gatorland has been slow with business, and due to the lack on income, they also had to cut hours, and the first to go were the part-time employees (me). I am about $1900 in debt now and my car wont stop breaking down on me. I am at one of those "stress" points and need a little help. I have applied to SEVERAL jobs and have gotten no luck. I need a steady income SOMEHOW. I am available on weekends and evenings and have sales and cash register experience. I am up for almost anything that brings in good money. If anybody knows of anything that could possibly help me out, please let me know. I am in a real bind here, having to juggle high-school, college plans, jobs, and the last thing i need is debt (car insurance is the biggest contributor to that debt, and i need to find a way to get another $1000 for the next 6 mo/ of insurance for the car that allows me to have a job that can pay off the debt......big circle of sadness... : *( ...)

Even if anybody needs help for like a day or two, or just an afternoon, i am up for anything, i can help organizing, cleaning, moving...I need money, if you have a need for help, i may be of service to you. The only thing is..t hat i live in kissimmee and cannot go too far for a job or if anybody needs help with something. Thank you for reading.

*NOTE* I am NOT in amy way aksing for charity, just advise regarding a job

Seth Wahlton

Pterodactyl
11/09/2007, 11:37 AM
Seth,
have you tried Sears, JCPenneys, or any place at the mall? Everybody is hiring Holiday help. I saw a sign yesterday in Sears that they are hiring.
Good luck!

seth16
11/09/2007, 11:56 AM
I have conscidered sears, the only thing is that it is quite the drive from where i live, and if i were to get a job there, and my car break down again, i would have no way to get there. But I actually may be able to find some "day" jobs at some of the mall stores, alot of those places have days where they will get a large shippment or smoethign and will need help for like a weekend. I will check up on that, thank you, i appreciate your help

dugg
11/09/2007, 01:06 PM
Look at the bright side Seth. In only ten years or so, you will need $1900 every week just to get by lol. OOOOHHH what i would give to be able to say i was only $1900 in debt lol.

InLimbo87
11/09/2007, 01:58 PM
Good luck Seth.

I'd definitely agree that you should look into retail jobs. I'm sure you'll be able to find something. As for that car, once you fix it and start making some cash I'd sell it and get a cheap honda. Damn American garbage cars...

seth16
11/09/2007, 02:00 PM
Yeah, that is one idea that my dad and i have been tossing around...

AquaKnight407
11/09/2007, 04:13 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11149415#post11149415 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by InLimbo87
...I'd sell it and get a cheap honda. Damn American garbage cars...
Real classy.....:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

InLimbo87
11/09/2007, 05:18 PM
Lol what was wrong with I said? He obviously is unhappy with his car, and its obviously falling apart. I meant it wholeheartedly, I feel bad that he is suffering right now because of the poor quality of his car, and offering him some advice...

cowboyswife
11/09/2007, 05:20 PM
Try getting a job at one of the many stores at The Loop at John Young and Sand Lake. They have a ton of stores, and Im sure alot of them will be hiring for Christmas. And most of the time, if you work out, then they will keep you after the holidays. Hey, there is even a Petco in that shopping center ;)

InLimbo87
11/09/2007, 05:22 PM
How about Aquaholics, isn't that right near your house? Maybe you could convince them to give you a job (hey its win win right?)

dugg
11/09/2007, 06:09 PM
There is nothing wrong with American cars. Any time you buy a used car, you can bet that there will be things wrong with it no matter where it was made. That is why it got sold or traded in. I always budget at least $500 for repairs on any used car i buy. Very few people sell or trade in a car that is in perfect shape. Where do you think Hondas are made at? Lincoln, Alabama maybe?

InLimbo87
11/09/2007, 06:46 PM
Of course they're made in the US. The difference is where they are engineered. They are engineered in Japan, and more care is taken into engineering of the cars there because they have more competition within their own country. Problem with our domestic cars (and why they have been statistically way less reliable) is that there are really only two major competitors. That lack of competition brings upon lazy engineering, and poorly built cars.

I would agree that all used cars come with their problems, however Seth has had WAY more problems with his car than normal. Seems to me like he's already way exceeded $500, with repairs needed to be done still...

AquaKnight407
11/09/2007, 06:49 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11150713#post11150713 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by InLimbo87
Lol what was wrong with I said? He obviously is unhappy with his car, and its obviously falling apart. I meant it wholeheartedly, I feel bad that he is suffering right now because of the poor quality of his car, and offering him some advice...
Pretty much what Dugg said, to lump all american cars as garbage is pretty offensive. There are a lot of good quality cars out there and for every 'crap domestic' story, I have a bad experience story with a Honda or supposedly 'realiable' :rolleyes: foreign car.

You take a chance buying any used car, some are good some bad, regardless of make.

InLimbo87
11/09/2007, 06:51 PM
For the record, even though I feel most American cars are inferior, that statement was not directed at all American cars. Was merely cursing the unreliable ones...

AquaKnight407
11/09/2007, 06:58 PM
Could you quickly explain this theory of more competition in Japan? Like what brands are available there that aren't here?

InLimbo87
11/09/2007, 06:58 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11151226#post11151226 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by AquaKnight407
to lump all american cars as garbage is pretty offensive.

Whether you agree with my statements or not, nothing I said was offensive. Unless of course you want me to walk out an apology note to your car. :lol:

InLimbo87
11/09/2007, 07:04 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11151273#post11151273 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by AquaKnight407
Could you quickly explain this theory of more competition in Japan? Like what brands are available there that aren't here?

Its simple business theory. The more competition a company has, the better they must make their products to stay in the industry.

Now, in Japan there are several big automakers (Nissan, Honda, Toyota, Mazda, Suzuki, and Mitsubishi) producing domestically. This means that they have a lot of competition within their own market.

In the US on the other hand, there are really only two major competitors in the domestic auto industry (GM and Ford).

weaver5
11/09/2007, 07:12 PM
you might even want to try walmart.My highschool sn just took a part time job there and they pay mor than min. wage. They started him at 8.75 and are very flexible with his hours.Good luck

InLimbo87
11/09/2007, 07:15 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11151353#post11151353 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by weaver5
you might even want to try walmart.My highschool sn just took a part time job there and they pay mor than min. wage. They started him at 8.75 and are very flexible with his hours.Good luck

Also not a bad idea, as far as I know Walmart is always hiring. If you could get in with Publix, they are also a really good company to work for part time (where I worked in High School)

AquaKnight407
11/09/2007, 07:19 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11151277#post11151277 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by InLimbo87
Whether you agree with my statements or not, nothing I said was offensive. Unless of course you want me to walk out an apology note to your car. :lol:

Sure it is. If I were to say your favorite beer/wine tasted like human waste, you wouldn't take some type of offensive to that? Or what about Nanocube 12 DXs are the worst tanks ever?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11151307#post11151307 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by InLimbo87
Its simple business theory. The more competition a company has, the better they must make their products to stay in the industry.

Now, in Japan there are several big automakers (Nissan, Honda, Toyota, Mazda, Suzuki, and Mitsubishi) producing domestically. This means that they have a lot of competition within their own market.

In the US on the other hand, there are really only two major competitors in the domestic auto industry (GM and Ford).
True, but they do not have to compete with any American car companies in Japan. GM and Ford have had to compete (i.e. engineer) against those brands in the US for quite some time now. I really don't believe when GM or Ford design a car, they solely look each other. Though for sure, I'll have to ask some members of my family (engineers for GM, which is what I took offensive to, not that you don't like my Cadillac ;) )

InLimbo87
11/09/2007, 07:23 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11151393#post11151393 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by AquaKnight407
Sure it is. If I were to say your favorite beer/wine tasted like human waste, you wouldn't take some type of offensive to that? Or what about Nanocube 12 DXs are the worst tanks ever?

I really wouldn't care.. Its called an opinion, everyone has one.

As for the cars, yes American cars do now compete with Japanese cars here. And do you know what thats doing for them? Naturally it is increasing their reliability. American cars have been much improving over the past years.

Problem with them in the past was that Japanese cars were either not here, or hadn't been here long enough for GM/Ford to really change their engineering/quality.

davy182
11/09/2007, 07:32 PM
delivering pizza always hires, carwash, window washing, pressure washing.

justinzimm
11/09/2007, 08:56 PM
Try SeaWorld!!!!

Look here:
http://www.becjobs.com/Scripts/ABC/Scripts/JobSearch.aspx

Choose "seaworld orlando" and "full time, hourly"

They need photographers all the time.

Also the new Aquatica park is opeing in the spring and they have to fill lots of openings.

Stop by human resources and put in a resume...

Justin

dugg
11/09/2007, 09:11 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11151419#post11151419 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by InLimbo87
As for the cars, yes American cars do now compete with Japanese cars here. And do you know what thats doing for them? Naturally it is increasing their reliability. American cars have been much improving over the past years.

Problem with them in the past was that Japanese cars were either not here, or hadn't been here long enough for GM/Ford to really change their engineering/quality.

The past few years? So you mean the 1970 Chevelle, the 1971 Chevy pickup, the 1974 Chevy Nova, and the 1971 Chevy Elcamino i own are inferior and poorly engineered ? LOL. I would love to see your 1970 honda that is still on the road and worth 10 times it's original value. The American cars that are inferior, are the ones that are built as cheaply as possible for people that can't afford to spend much on a car to get back and forth to work. An s-10 pickup is exactly that, a low budget truck that was built as a cheap vehicle made to be sold cheap and be good on gas mileage.

Seth, the key to making that truck a reliable vehicle, is to not buy cheap foriegn made parts when it does break. If you replace your broken parts with GM, or ac/delco parts, you will find that you won't be working on it near as much. Those parts might cost you a few dollars more, but they will last much longer than the cheaply made foriegn junk.

chrisstie
11/10/2007, 01:01 AM
I just have to say Justin that I love your avatar its great with the kitty and the santa hat :)

Debating where one car is made versus the other is one of those age old things that.. is age old. Seth if you can get into a position to find a more reliable car no matter if its made american, foreign or made of cheese, a more reliable car versus what you have will be a wonderful thing to have :)

And in Japan the entire business model and work ethic is different. They have 100 year business models - instead of the more common ones in America focusing on next quarter, next quarter etc.. they are like okay 10, 20, 50, 100 years in the future we want to be here. Its a really cool thing they do and I think just part of the business culture out there. One of the more deep rooted differences versus the capitalistic style we have here trying to please stock holders. IMO that influences the way a company and its products end up existing.

pixiegirlie
11/10/2007, 06:45 PM
i agree with walmart...iv worked for them for almost 2 years- i work in the pharmacy but i see them hiring people constantly...especially stockers. definitally follow up on it though-talk to a manager and call back a couple days later. they have like 100 people a day fill out an application-so you need to find a way to stick out.

target might be a good idea as well-i know that most stores like that need holiday help..but seeing the mass size of walmart- you can understand why they need so much help.

:)

cristhiam
11/10/2007, 09:35 PM
Hey Seith what happed to the candy door to door sales? ($89 box an hour if I remember your thread clearly).
Good luck, you can cut grass and make good money around your neighborhood.

seth16
11/10/2007, 11:24 PM
OK, just checked this post, and i will try my best to reply to most all of the recommendations...

I have applied to almost all the stores at the loop, and all but panera, and ross have some reaosn they cant hire people that are under 18 (bummer)...and the manager at parera doesnt like me so i am screwed with that one... AND I LIVE LIKE A MILE FROM THE LOOP!!!!!! it sucks...lol

Aquaholics...hahah, now thats funny. I have been trying to get a job there for YEARS (Dan knows...hahaha)...yeah, even now that they are moving to a bigger store, they still dont need help : (

Seaworld, i am actually working with my manager at gatorland right now to get a job in at seaworld, you see, it actually is not seaworld that does the photographer, it is a seperate company, and my boss knows the head guy over there, so that may be what i get into, thank for the suggestion.

I have filled out 4 app's for target, and they manager keeps on saying that i dont have enough for him to hire me...???

and the candy thing, yes i made ALOT mof money, but i have found that because i am a little bit older now, it isnt as effective, i have other "twists" on the concept that i am using now, but the problem with that is that it is not "constant" income. I need to garuntee that i will get at least a certain set amount of money per week, and selling door to door does get good money, but there may be weeks without me being able to go out, thus, no income... I did cut grass, but becasue of the change in temperature, grass no longer needs to be cut now.

I really appreicate all of your suggestions, and i am giong to go out tomorrow and put in an app for walmart, and call abotu the seaworld gig, and i am also goign to go to the flroida mall for kicks... THanks again