PDA

View Full Version : ro/di ?

MIKE ALERS
11/08/2007, 10:48 PM
can ro/di water be used also for drinking water?

sytanek
11/08/2007, 10:48 PM
You need to bypass the di portion, and you can drink the RO.

sytanek
11/08/2007, 10:49 PM
Buy a cheap valve from home depot, and install it on the tubing before the di container, then when you want to make normal ro water, you open/close the valve.

chrisstie
11/08/2007, 10:59 PM
What Brannon says is great - we have an outlet before our DI cannister too.

DI water literally is deionized water - it is in its purest form with ions of any elements stripped out of it. Before it touches air its pH is neutral at 7.0 .. When exposed to air DI water is aggressive and will leach Co2 out of the air and drop the pH a little.

Aggressive water wants to absorb everything and anything it can - it can affect hard metals as well as other things. Drinking in very small portions (sometimes I have to taste test my buckets to make sure I'm topping off with fresh instead of salt water, yeah I could just mark them with a Sharpe) shouldn't do any harm.

However if you begin to consume very large amounts of DI water in a short amount of time, it will leach from your body as well as you digest it. It can cause an electrolyte imbalance and in more sensative people, headaches.

It should be safe to mix for say, coffe or tea or what not because you are then no longer ingesting deionized water, as it will have dissolved whatever you put into the water.

MIKE ALERS
11/08/2007, 11:12 PM
great info thank you guys.

cowboyswife
11/08/2007, 11:16 PM
I was making RO for my mom for a while, and I came to one conclusion with it. It tastes disgusting :)

MIKE ALERS
11/08/2007, 11:21 PM
what does it taste like? bottle or tap water?

Pacific Reefs
11/08/2007, 11:32 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11146236#post11146236 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cowboyswife
I was making RO for my mom for a while, and I came to one conclusion with it. It tastes disgusting :)

Yeah mine tastes gross. I have some filter on my fridge water and that tastes way better.

cowboyswife
11/09/2007, 12:02 AM
My tap water tastes way better than the RO water. I really dont know how to describe it, its just nasty.

lifesworksataol
11/09/2007, 12:28 AM
hey everyone - i think mike is trying to talk lala into a bigger ro/di water machine - so they dont have to buy water for the baby and so mike gets his big huge ro/di machine :-D hahaha go mikey!

cowboyswife
11/09/2007, 12:59 AM
And Id rather let my kid drink tap water.

chrisstie
11/09/2007, 09:38 AM
When you drink tap water or other water with other minerals and trace elements in it you're actually picking up on those minute flavors.. RoDI water DOES taste disgusting lol :) Its because there's nothing in it and its leaching things from your mouth.. as to why that makes it taste gross I'm not sure but it makes it not the most fun thing to drink anyway :)

dugg
11/09/2007, 01:00 PM
Mike DO NOT use RO/DI water for your baby. My baby spent 4 days in the hospital a few months back because i was using DI water to mix his bottles. Like was said earlier, it will absorb minerals from your body and mess up your electrolytes. They sell nursery water that has minerals added to it for babies.

MIKE ALERS
11/09/2007, 06:46 PM
that's funny guys you actually read my mind...i was thinking of water for the tank and baby.she's actually drinking nursery water but i read that nursery water contains a lot of flouride wich is also bad for them.so i was looking for alternatives.