PDA

View Full Version : Maroon Clowns?

mr.stevebaer@ya
11/08/2007, 06:17 PM
Just wondering what everyone thought of maroon clowns? I really like them and the LFS got a new shipment in that is quite tempting. I have 3 damsels in my tank now...think that if I add a pair of maroon clownfish I'll have any problems?

Dingo Dog
11/08/2007, 06:23 PM
Probably. I had two maroon clowns. Although they are a attractive fish, they are more aggressive than some of the other clowns and they also get quite large.

kaihonu82
11/08/2007, 06:28 PM
my 2cents: ditch the damsels. maroon clowns are really cool fish and have a high probability of hosting an anemone. but they tend to be more aggressive than other clownfish but as long as you're careful with your livestock selection it'll be fine

mr.stevebaer@ya
11/08/2007, 06:36 PM
I just got the damsels because...well...they were the first fish I added to my tank and you know :-) they're cheap..lol. I actually am enjoying them quite a bit, I have 2 yellow tail ones and a 4 stripe one

zma21
11/08/2007, 07:00 PM
I have a pair of gold stripe maroons, and they're the most beautiful things i've ever seen.

seapug
11/08/2007, 07:19 PM
I have a pair, as well. They love their BTAs and attacking my hand when I work in the tank. I love them, anyway. If they are bigger than the damsel you'll have no problem. They can hold their own.

DrBDC
11/08/2007, 08:22 PM
I have a pair that is atypical. They'll let me move rocks around the anemone, hold food for them, etc. Mine have been model citizens. I've seen others that if you touch the tip of your finger in the far side of a 6ft tank, they shoot across the tank faster than you've ever seen a fish move and try to bite.

ttantalizer
11/08/2007, 09:55 PM
OMG!!! I had a some maroons for a couple of years. Beautiful, but MEAN!!! When they were smaller all was perfect.....BUT......when they get bigger, do not plan on sticking your hands in the tank without your hand bleeding when you bring it out!! They will travel across a 180 gallon tank in .03 seconds to protect their anemone!! They are great while they are small, but not when they are bigger!
Just fyi.

zma21
11/08/2007, 11:12 PM
Mine are full size, and just complete angels.

ttantalizer
11/09/2007, 12:00 AM
I guess when I say they were perfect when they were small I need to clarify. My larger one that bit any hand in the tank was a good 6" long. That's pretty big for a clown. But he was older.
The smaller (3") ones were fine. And the anemone was very, very large as well. So I guess it's with size and age.

fishworm
11/09/2007, 03:09 AM
I have a 6 line wrasse, 3 red firefish, and a green chromis in my 75 gallon now (with a 55g sump/fuge) and I am trying to decide on what kind of clowns to get. I really like the gold stripe maroons but would they get along with my current inhabitants? would they get too big for a 75?

or should I just stick with perculas or ocellaris?

sjonathan
11/09/2007, 03:48 AM
i have 2 damsel, 2 green chromis, yellow tang, royal gramma, 2 neon gobies, pink skunk clown and a large yellow stripe maroon in a 75g..never messed with any of them. he may chase them off when they get too close to his green bubble home but nothing serious. the only problem is when he cleans around his bubble cause he'll push other corals away from his home. love seeing when he cleans up..wished i purchased 2 to start with cause now im trying to figure out a way to introduce another one in my tank w/out killing each other..any suggestion? if you decide to get yellowstripe maroon get a pair.

masher09
11/09/2007, 10:13 PM
I have a 125 FOWLR. I would like to have a maroon or maybe 2. Can I have those and peculas in the same tank coexisting???

dc
11/09/2007, 11:19 PM
I love mine, but man is she mean. The older she gets the meaner she is. She was my first fish, and while I'd never get rid of her, I'd never get another one.

http://images29.fotki.com/v1012/photos/2/28482/1806483/DSC04455_Clown_Foxface-vi.jpg

JFristoe
11/09/2007, 11:51 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11152466#post11152466 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by masher09
I have a 125 FOWLR. I would like to have a maroon or maybe 2. Can I have those and peculas in the same tank coexisting???

Yes, but only until the Maroon(s) killed them.:D

Ritten
11/10/2007, 12:28 AM
I would add any maroons last. They are also very difficult to pair.

timrandlerv10
11/10/2007, 12:58 AM
lol fristoe well said.

i have two, and they are perfect little kids. by that i mean, they beat the snot out of everything.

she beat him for about a week (i got them paired, she was just mad).

she kicked him out of the nem for about a month or a little longer.

i would watch him fall asleep on a rock, laying sideways, during the day. he would be there sleeping, and she would come over and bite him.

why? just cause.

but man, they're beeeyoootiful.

Dingo Dog
11/10/2007, 11:36 AM
Bottom line is, do you feel lucky? Once they're in your tank, they control it, not you. You've just become a by-stander. The odds are they'll become the bullies of the tank.
It's a tough call. In certain respects, I miss the 2 I had which hosted a splendid RBTA because they are beautiful, but I don't miss their attitudes. I've moved on and am happy without them. Best of luck to you on this difficult decision.