PDA

View Full Version : my first reef tank 75aga, a few questions

AB-Bug
11/08/2007, 05:39 PM
I'm new to the hobby and just purchased a 75 gallon from a girl who was moving. It was full of green algae when I got it, however I rinsed the rocks and cleaned it up pretty good. It has been set up at the new location for about 4 days and that algae is starting to come back strong. My water parameters are all fine, so whats next? Currently the tank has no "cleanup crew" except for a couple of sandworms. I don't think that there will be any real die off because I kept the rock in good clean saltwater while moving. Also, I made the mistake of using a silicate based playsand for most of my substrate, and used some of the stuff from the old one. Now I'm starting to see the brown algae (cyano?) on the rocks and powerheads. Do I need to cycle the tank or purchase some snails and crabs? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

o.c.d.
11/08/2007, 06:39 PM
If it were me I'd pull the sand and turn out the lights (no sunlight) basicly recure even with no die off you should test the water and keep water changing make sure that no phosphate is avaliable for the algae to feed on.I'd also use a skimmer if your not already

Piscator
11/08/2007, 06:59 PM
Such a move generally involves some die off, even with the best efforts. It is probably going to go through a bit of a cycle again.

But if you focus on using good water for top offs, begin a good water change schedule, cut back on lights, don't over feed, make sure you have plenty of good circulation (powerheads, etc) you should be okay.

Congrats on the new tank...hope you got a good deal.

What other equipment do you have?

fishox
11/08/2007, 08:21 PM
the brown algae is probably a diatom bloom and not cyano. The diatoms are common in a new tank but usually a couple months in to the set up. You are probably getting yours now since you started with a mature tank.

AB-Bug
11/09/2007, 01:13 PM
I have a sealife skimmer and an RODI unit, I need to get some different fittings to get my pump to attach to the skimmer, it keeps popping off and spraying everywhere. The sump is full of what I would call Base Rock, it doesnt appear to have any life on it. I'm planning on growing chaeto for filtration. I have one large powerhead and a small one, no idea on the brand. So is it too early to add snails and such, or should I get them to work on that algae?

Vin7250
11/09/2007, 04:10 PM
did you rinse the rocks with freshwater or saltwater??

AB-Bug
11/10/2007, 01:29 PM
saltwater