PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic vs. Glass tanks

asianer
11/08/2007, 03:43 PM
Looking for opinions...

renisel
11/08/2007, 03:59 PM
I prefer glass. To the best of my understanding, the advantages that acrylic offers are that it's light-weight, clearer and doesn't break as easily. The weight really only comes into play when you're lifting your tank (not something I do very often), and I've never found myself wishing my glass were a little clearer. So long as you get a glass tank from a reputable manufacturer and don't spend much time juggling hammers near your aquarium, I don't think you generally have to worry too much about chipping or cracking either. On the other side, acrylic scratches pretty easily and is a lot more expensive.

BurntOutReefer
11/08/2007, 04:23 PM
I have both. Glass is much easier (to clean etc).....actually dumping my acrylic now and switching over to another glass.....

ttomkat1
11/08/2007, 05:57 PM
Coming from a 50gal acrylic to a 120g glass. I really prefer glass. It cleans easier, doesn't scratch. I think it has an overall better look.

---ttomkat1

Dingo Dog
11/08/2007, 06:19 PM
Glass. There was a post here recently where a reefer's arcylic tank was scratched when a friend's kid decided to clean the tank using a 'Mag-Float'. Sand got between the mag-float and acrylic which scratched the acrylic.

o.c.d.
11/08/2007, 06:22 PM
Something to be said about high quality glass,My Oceanic bowfront is clear at any angle very photogenic also.I've seen cheaper bows that distort view on an angle is worst.
My buddy just built a tank out of starfire glass absolutly beautiful clarity my coral frags pop with color in it,I't is a softer glass though and can scratch aparently.

Mini Me6
11/08/2007, 06:41 PM
I had an acrylic tank. My 5yr old did a number on it when she tried to clean it. Ever since I switched to glass, I haven't seen any scratches. She really likes a clear view:eek: .

bertoni
11/08/2007, 07:02 PM
A StarPhire glass tank might be great, but I can't stand the green cast from my little 29g glass tank. The acrylic tanks looks better, but it does get scratched. Still, I like it better than the standard glass.

Gary Majchrzak
11/08/2007, 08:29 PM
standard glass over acrylic for a reef aquarium all day long :mixed:

Severum
11/08/2007, 08:41 PM
Interesting opinions. I have been at this for 17 years now with all glass tanks up until 3 years ago I switched over to acrylic. I would never go back to glass if I had an option with acrylic. I love the lightweight and clarity. Cleaning the inside has never been an issue for me. Just be careful and you'll be fine.

Severum

Acillaton
11/08/2007, 08:55 PM
Acrylic is much lighter than glass...but how many times you have to move it? Tank full of sw is heavy enough either glass nor acrylic. I prefer glass just because is more resistant to scratches. IMO