PDA

View Full Version : To filter or not to filter? That si the question!

NCADAM
11/08/2007, 12:14 PM
Hello all,

As usual there seem to be mixed ideas of filters for reef tanks. I currently have a prefilter, sock, skimmer, and another filter in my sump before the H2O reaches the return pump and I have seen some qeustion as to the need for all the filtration as it causes nitrates to increase. I do have 60lbs of LR and 80 lbs of LS which I believe also act as a filter. Should I loose the other filters and just keep the skimmer or what. Confused,confused, confused!!!!!.

Thanks,

Adam

albatross666
11/08/2007, 12:23 PM
Hi

After researching quite a bit I decided not to do filters and rely on the rock, sand and skimmer.

I did hold on to the prefilter. I change it every 2-3 days and every now and then I run carbon through powerhead quick filters.

I would remove the filters very slowly, one by one, over the course of a month or so.

Hope this helps.

dsn112
11/08/2007, 12:28 PM
I am curious too, Im pretty much FOWLR and with my bio-load I think the filter will help. I have a rena cansiter with there filstars, which is i guess like bioballs, and also the bio-zorb which is basically carbon, and the various sponges they give you. Do you think I should also remove it, I just want to keep my tank crystal clear.

fatrip
11/08/2007, 12:30 PM
deff take them off...but do it slow so bacterial has time to build up in your rock and get used to doing more work...filter socks are ok as long as you rinse and clean every 2 to 3 days depending on bio load. if you have that much room in your sump i would run a DSB for nitrate removal. and as albatross said keep on ofthe filters so you can run carbon and GFO on a monthly basis or when ever needed for that matter. but yes having that many filter on the system would only be benifical if you had no sand or rock and you were cleaning thm out 2-3 times a week depending on bio load. JMO

Aadler
11/08/2007, 12:31 PM
the main use for filters is to take out excess food or wastes from the water column and the use of carbon is just to give the water a nice clean look. they are fine to use, just keep them clean or the waste will rot and raise nitrates. I use a prefilter and carbon 100% of the time. I have no nitrates. Just keep them clean. They are not needed though.

fatrip
11/08/2007, 12:35 PM
filters are good if you clean them like aadler said but it needs to be a ritual cleaning proccess. you for get to do it here or there and waste starts to build up and you will get spikes of amonia and nitrate problems causeing the bacteria in your rocks and sand to try and get it out but they are not used to proccessing that much waste so in turn things in your tank will start to die off. so if you are keeping the filters make it a ritual to change and clean the cartrigaes.

Aadler
11/08/2007, 12:36 PM
I do not clean mine 2-3 times a week. I do have a very light bioload for my system, but I was out of town for three weeks and they did not get cleaned once during that period. Not that i recommend letting them go for 3 weeks at a time, but you may not need to clean them every other day. Test your nitrates every other day for a week or two with the filters not being cleaned and see what happens. If your bioload is light i doubt there will be any increase with the filters as opposed to without them.

*edit* IMO trying it out for yourself is the best way, each tank is different so what works for myself or for other might ruin your system. A lot in this hobby comes down to personal preference and the amount of time you want to invest.

steri
11/08/2007, 12:38 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11142064#post11142064 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by fatrip
filters are good if you clean them like aadler said but it needs to be a ritual cleaning proccess. you for get to do it here or there and waste starts to build up and you will get spikes of amonia and nitrate problems causeing the bacteria in your rocks and sand to try and get it out but they are not used to proccessing that much waste so in turn things in your tank will start to die off. so if you are keeping the filters make it a ritual to change and clean the cartrigaes.

With the emphasis on "ritual cleaning process." I run 2 canisters on my tank. I run LR in them, but still, to me, the cleaning of them needs to be "ritualistic." If you don't mind that, go for it.

dsn112
11/08/2007, 12:39 PM
When I clean my canister i lose like 2 gallons, so should I do my water changes when I clean my canister?

That way I dont lose all that water everytime I clean it out.

Aadler
11/08/2007, 12:43 PM
DSN- I would recommend only running one filterpad/foam pad and carbon, this will do everything for your system that a canister can safely do.

As for the losing 2g of water, if you do weekly water changes that would be fine, if you do monthly, you may want to clean the pad/foam much more frequently.

fatrip
11/08/2007, 12:45 PM
that would be good but if you are only having FOWLR there really is no need to do water changes weekly uness your filters arnt doing a good job. i would reccomend water changes monthly. if you are doing 2 gallon water changes every week i dont see why you would need to do a big water change each month or every other week since you only have a 29g tank. and as addler said it depends alot on how much time you have to spend on your tank during the week. that is why i only run LR, LS, a bigggg skimmer, and a RDSB, because i do not have the time during the week to wash out filters or test every or every other day for nitrates and amonia. but to each his own, try some things and do what works best for you.

Aadler
11/08/2007, 12:46 PM
Also DSN-the BIOSORB or whatever it is called, make sure that is actually Carbon and not a freshwater bacteria farm/filter, i cant think of what they are called, but they are not meant for marine aquariums, (if it is carbon it is fine to use).

Aadler
11/08/2007, 12:48 PM
fatrip a RDSB? hehe, at what point do you get to attach the 'R' :) my dsb is about 5 inches, prolly not enough? ;c)

Sk8r
11/08/2007, 12:49 PM
NCADAM, you left out the main piece of info, or I read too fast: if you're a FOWLR tank [only fish] with large fish you may need filters and weekly cleaning. If you want a reef, get rid of all of them, every one, and consider replacing the filter sock with a big cheato ball. They're not only no use, they're a detriment to a reef.

Aadler
11/08/2007, 01:07 PM
Shakes head, like I said earlier ncadam, take advice you get with a grain of salt, it is always best to find out for yourself, just base your experiementing with the knowledge you gain from here!

dsn112
11/08/2007, 01:39 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11142145#post11142145 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Aadler
Also DSN-the BIOSORB or whatever it is called, make sure that is actually Carbon and not a freshwater bacteria farm/filter, i cant think of what they are called, but they are not meant for marine aquariums, (if it is carbon it is fine to use).

Here is what it is:
Bio-Chem Zorb is composed of two organic scavenger resins and two ion-exchange resins, combined with a high-porosity activated carbon. Together, they remove synthetic chemicals, naturally occurring organic pollutants and metabolic by-products from aquarium water. Bio-Chem Zorb filters water to a level not achievable with carbon alone.

Its made for Salt and Fresh water. I am going to replace the bioballs with LR rubble. Should I take all pads out, leave the carbon, and load it with LR Rubble?

Aadler
11/08/2007, 01:43 PM
as long as it says for use with marine aqurium i guess its fine, ive nver heard of it tho. Some people run carbon all the time, others run it once a month for a day, others dont run it. I myself would leave a pad in there with the lr rubble, its hard to say what your set up is though. each case is different. but if it can be in a place that is not to hard to clean out and it is trapping large wastes, id keep it in. just my opinion tho.

NCADAM
11/08/2007, 04:57 PM
I have a Fowlr right now but want to try a softie reef as time goes by. My stock is down in my info. thanks for all the posts.

Adam