PDA

View Full Version : Do fish/corals require a 'feeding schedule'?

FBNitro
11/08/2007, 10:46 AM
I work a good 9 hour day on average (~7:30-5), but sometimes I'm stuck working late (sometimes really late). I'm planning on setting up a 10-15g nano reef (just a couple fish), and I was curious if fish/corals require a fixed feeding schedule.

I suppose I could feed them in the AM before leaving for work, but I would prefer to do it afterwards so I can enjoy it, rather than being rushed out the door.

Sk8r
11/08/2007, 10:49 AM
no. Just remember to feed your fish: corals will generally take care of themselves off fish poo if you have enough bristleworms to break it down.
You can even skip a day---just don't overfeed on the next.
In the ocean, food comes when it comes.

phish guy
11/08/2007, 11:00 AM
my fish/corals arent on a schedule. sometimes they only get 1 feeding but usually they get fed little bites over the course of the day. so i say feed them a little b4 work, then relax by the tank when your home and feed them little tiny bits over a while.
and as for the corals, i keep a calender by the tank to see when i fed the corals and what they got. invert food can realy foul the water so just do it sparingly.

coast2coast7390
11/08/2007, 11:35 AM
nope...if you are looking to recreate the natural 'cycle' you would have to feed all day...we dont do this for the simple reason that our filter cant handle this bio load

Mavrk
11/08/2007, 11:41 AM
It doesn't matter when you feed except that there should be light (could be ambient light). Otherwise you are feeding sleeping fish :D Feeding very small amounts more frequently is good if you can do it, but your fish will be fine if you cannot. Many people even feed every other day.