PDA

View Full Version : How do you get rid of Anthelia

AlexB650
11/08/2007, 01:19 AM
When I first setup my tank, someone offerred to give me some free anthelia, which I thought was really nice of him. However, this stuff wont stop growing and I can't get rid of it. I'm almost to the point where I'm about to throw my rock out in the sun for a few days. Anyone had success getting rid of it?

marduc
11/08/2007, 01:42 AM
let me know when you figure it out :D

I pluck any and all of it off from my rocks every several months as it starts to get reestablished, it helps for a couple months, but it keeps coming back, just something I have learned to deal with.

ahullsb
11/08/2007, 01:30 PM
I had the same problem, and had to trade most of my rock back in to my LFS. It is very difficult to get rid of completely. You can peel it but it is hard and might still come back anyway.

BCreefmaker
11/08/2007, 01:56 PM
im always amazed at not only how fast this coral is able to grow, but also to be shredded and attach to new places like no other coral. often trying to get rid of it will cause it to seed in more places, i find its best to just remove the rocks its growing on from your main tank and then just kill the coral. it nearly took over my main tank, but it makes a great export coral.

rhythmicfire
11/08/2007, 02:26 PM
The best thing to do would be to avoid the anthelia from getting onto your main rock work to begin with. Many people keep their clumps of anthelia on little "islands" of rock to ensure that their growth is somewhat controllable. I've heard of some people putting an aggressive coral next to the anthelia to kill it - but I don't know it ever turned out for these people. May be worth a try though.

steri
11/08/2007, 04:00 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11142839#post11142839 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rhythmicfire
The best thing to do would be to avoid the anthelia from getting onto your main rock work to begin with. Many people keep their clumps of anthelia on little "islands" of rock to ensure that their growth is somewhat controllable. I've heard of some people putting an aggressive coral next to the anthelia to kill it - but I don't know it ever turned out for these people. May be worth a try though.

I could see that working. Maybe put something like Frogspawn by it. Frogspawn should sting it some.

If that doesn't work, cut some off and trade it for some other coral with other reefers. Even though you may no longer like it, I'm sure someone would want some in their tank.

MalHavoc
11/08/2007, 04:33 PM
The problem with anthellia and keeping it on a separate island of rock is that it often detaches by itself and seeds elsewhere. Xenia too. GSP, for all of the evil attention it gets, doesn't seem to do this, at least in my experience.