PDA

View Full Version : hello i need your help

jrb27
11/07/2007, 08:46 PM
well my wife has been hounding me to do a salt water my 14 month old some fell inlove with the " nemo " at the lfs so i decided to go for it ok all i have right is a 48gallon bowfront tank i was told all i need is live rock live sand and a good protein skimmer is this true ? i was going to buy a wet/dry filter and a protein skimmer like these

i'm looking at this w/d will this be ok

http://cgi.ebay.com/AQUARIUM-WET-DRY-FILTER-60-GALLON-REEF-TANK_W0QQitemZ120180500988QQihZ002QQcategoryZ46310QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

and this skimmer

http://cgi.ebay.com/Protein-Skimmer-Marine-Fish-tank-Aquarium-Power-Head_W0QQitemZ140174673108QQihZ004QQcategoryZ117435QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

now i have a couple other questions how do you figure out how much live rock and live sand i need for a 48 gallon bowfront i was going to use the instant ocean mix

thank you verry much for your time

richofoz
11/07/2007, 09:05 PM
Not sure how to do the cool welcome thing but "welcome to RC!"
To answer your q's
The filter your looking at is ok however there are a couple of things you might want to research first...

1. IMO Hang on overflows can be a pain I've only ever tried one won't do it again. If the siphon stops working it can lead to overflowed tanks.
(I learnt the hard way)

and also, The blue balls in the filter compartment can cause problems with nitrate levels in your tank as they need to be cleaned regularly and can be hard to clean properly.
You can replace them with something else such as coral rubble or something though.

2. The skimmer is IMO the most important piece of filtration equipment. It's tempting to get a cheaper one but really they don't work that well.
A friend tried the skimmer you are looking at but wasn't impressed.
What is your budget for a skimmer?
If your a DIY sort of person you can build your own?

As far as live rock is concerned the general rule is about 1 to 4 lbs of live rock per gallon of water.

Live sand is a matter of oppinion, as there are differnt ways of using it in a tank. Some use a very deep sand bed or DSB
(this helps filtration)
I myself use only enough sand to cover the bottom of my tank.
This has it's own pros and cons....
Some don't use any sand at all in the display tank...

I suggest reading up on sand beds in general and see which ideas you think best suit you.

Not sure what lights you have but depending on what else you want to keep that's a whole other can of worms!!

This is all just my opinion but I hope it helps.
Rich

T Man
11/07/2007, 09:10 PM
Welcome to Reef Central jrb27 and wife !! There are some very good reads (http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1031074[/url) here, also a forum just for "Nemo" (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&forumid=36[/url) too! :D. TinMan

jrb27
11/07/2007, 09:39 PM
from what i've been reading i really dont need a wet/dry filter ?? all i need is a good protein skimmer and the live rock and sand ??? am i correct

bbehring
11/07/2007, 09:43 PM
Well, jrb27, one thing you'll find here is a lot of opnions. Most are good, some aren't so good. richofoz advice to skip the siphon overflow is good expecially for the one reason stated. The advice to not skimp on the skimmer is also good solid advice as is the advice regarding the blue bio balls and not to use them (unless your are fish only). Actually for starters, you should take some time and read some of the beginning sticky threads by "waterkeeper" posted in this forum here: http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1031074. I would recommend agronite sand in .5-1.5mm grain size. While the sand doesn't filter the water it can act as a denotrofier if deep enough (say 4" which can help to reduce nitrates). As stated above this is a decision you will need to make weather to have a DSB, little sand at the bottom or to go bare bottom. There are pros and cons for all 3. I myself have a 5" DSB and actually like the benifits and the look. Unless you want to go the siphon overflow and add a sump (seperate tank, below or beside your tank to house heater, skimmer, and other items, maybe a refugium), A good rule of thumb on the live rock is 1.5lb/gal. or between 60 and 75 lbs. The live rock will act as a filter of sorts. Good quality live rock can be found at Premium Aquatics or other reputable etailers or you can purchase from a good local fish store (LFS). Do some reading up on live rock from the beginners sticky posts here: http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=165224 and here: http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=196454

If you plan to go sumpless. I would look at the bermuda rouge wave HOT skimmer http://www.toofishy.com/product.php?productid=80331&cat=772&page=1 or the Aqua Medic 1000 Turboflotor Hang on Skimmer http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~idProduct~AQ1113.html. Both are grate HOT skimmers. I would also recommend that you install some internal powerheads to help with flow. Probably 2 to 3. Powerheads come in different sizes, quality and prices. You can run the gammot on these. On the mid end there are Maxijet powerheads and on the high end there are tunze nanostreams. Depending on what animals you want to keep will dictate your flow needs. Most try and turn their tank volume over 10x min. more for SPS corals. On lighting, this also depends on what corals you want to try and keep. There are low, medium and high light corals and inverts and just like most everything else, lighting hood prices vary. If you will be FOWLR (fish only with live rock) then you can purchase in the lower watt side. For beginners with most corals, the T5 fixtures are offereing an offordable solid platfrom to keep most animals. Just ask questions if you have them. Oh ya, and work to do 5% water changes every week. This will help tremendously with nutrient export. It's a fun and exciting hobby, you will be addicted very soon if you aren't already? Hope this helps some?

Mavrk
11/07/2007, 09:58 PM
[welcome]

You have not said if you want to keep FOWLR or Reef.

LR and sand (you can get plain aragonite sand and a little bit of live sand to seed it) as well as adequite flow (powerheads and/or closed loop systerm) and water changes are all you need for FOWLR. I think a good (make sure it is good) skimmer is necessary for reef, and I would highly recommend one for FOWLR too. I don't recommend bio balls. Also if you can get a refugium for some macro algae that would be good.

Other things I would highly recommend are a RO/DI system, a phosban reactor, and an ATO (auto top off) system. As well as a refractometer (rather than a hydrometer) and heater. Throw in a mag float algae scraper and you are all set.

jrb27
11/07/2007, 10:02 PM
what i am trying to do is have a 48 gallon with a little bit of liverock some coral and a couple fish not overstocked i'm gathering info right now i have come to a concluion i will not buy a wet/dry but i will buy the good skimmer , heater, hydrometer, 50 lbs of liverock 25lbs livesand what else will i need ??? thanks

Mavrk
11/08/2007, 02:29 AM
1. Get a refractometer instead of a hydrometer. They are only 40-50 dollars and you will use it a lot. Hydrometers are temperature sensitive and can stick.

2. You can save money by putting mostly non-live sand in the tank, then putting some live sand on top to seed it. You really only need a cup of live sand, but perhaps use one bag if there aren't any others around with saltwater tanks to give you a cup. In fact, the live rock will seed it too.

3. The number one thing you need is patience. It sounds like you have a family that is encouraging you to do this. That will be very helpful when it comes time to pay the bills :D Just don't get pressured into putting those clown fish (or any fish) in until your tank is cycled and more matured.

4. Remember not to cycle with fish (e.g. damsels). It is not needed and is just not nice. Besides, you don't want damsels. Yes, clowns and chromis are in the damsel family and are peaceful, but I mean the ones labeled as damsels.

5. Look at the sponsors here (or other online stores) for equipment, salt, food, etc. You would not believe the savings over LFS (local fish store). My salt from Drs. Foster and Smith was half the price from one place and a third of the price of another local dealer. I only wish I bought my return pump and first powerhead online.

uscharalph
11/08/2007, 02:50 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11138750#post11138750 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jrb27
what i am trying to do is have a 48 gallon with a little bit of liverock some coral and a couple fish not overstocked i'm gathering info right now i have come to a concluion i will not buy a wet/dry but i will buy the good skimmer , heater, hydrometer, 50 lbs of liverock 25lbs livesand what else will i need ??? thanks
You haven't mentioned a sump?

super stooge
11/08/2007, 03:07 AM
once again welcome to reef central and congratulations on finding one of the greatest sources of information ive ever come across :D .

feel free to post any questions u have no matter how stupid u may think they are. there are people on this site with 25+ years of experience who are more than willing to help u out.

i have 2 ocellaris clownfish myself (what i would consider to be a "nemo") and they are some of the cuttest and friendliest fish ive ever seen. they are always out in the open swimming together against the current.

if u are patient with this hobby u will find it very rewarding and enjoyable. if u try to cut corners tho it can be very stressful not to mention expensive.

i encourage u to read as much as u can on everything u can. ull find things much easier when u understand whats going on and the processes through which things are happening.

good luck and i hope to see u posting on this site in the future:bounce3:

uscharalph
11/08/2007, 03:13 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11140207#post11140207 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by super stooge

if u are patient with this hobby u will find it very rewarding and enjoyable. if u try to cut corners tho it can be very stressful not to mention expensive.

Very True!!

Playa-1
11/08/2007, 09:37 AM
Hello,
I would follow all the links above and soak in as much information as possible. I believe that most people have or are in the process of moving away from wet/dry filters. The replacement is usually a combination of Live Rock, Live Sand, Protein Skimmer, Sump/Refugium and proper lighting.

The best thing you can do at this point is to READ. This forum has a wealth of information. I would suggest that you start with a good book or two to get a well rounded understanding of the hobby and what it is that your trying to accomplish. Then use this forum and the links provided to supplement that knowledge and you will be well on your way. I wouldn't attempt to get started or buy the first piece of equipment until you have done this research.

Also start thinking about what it is that you want to keep in this tank. That will determine what type of equipment and how big of a tank you will need. I think you will find that the salt water aquarium is not all that complicated once you understand the basics. Here are some good places to start. :)

"The conscientious Marine Aquarist" by Robert M. Fenner

www.reefcentral.com
www.wetwebmedia.com
www.reefkeeping.com
www.melevsreef.com

griffithimage
11/08/2007, 09:59 AM
there is alot to learn, I have been reading for a couple of months soaking everything up. One tip- see if you can get your wife involved.

bbehring
11/08/2007, 12:21 PM
or don't get your wife involved so when you do visit LFS or buy on line, she's not there controlling the cost/budget... my kids always say when we are going coral/fish hunting, "we're not taking mom, she never lets us spend any money"! At lease get your wife on board for the educational and kids involved aspect and she'll half hartedly support the effort/money pit! Just don't take money that's planned for the kids food to buy that new light hood. Have fun doing it, it's a blast!

griffithimage
11/08/2007, 12:29 PM
"or don't get your wife involved so when you do visit LFS or buy on line, she's not there controlling the cost/budget... my kids always say when we are going coral/fish hunting, "we're not taking mom, she never lets us spend any money"! At lease get your wife on board for the educational and kids involved aspect and she'll half hartedly support the effort/money pit! Just don't take money that's planned for the kids food to buy that new light hood. Have fun doing it, it's a blast!"

very good point!