PDA

View Full Version : Curing live rock in tank instead of separate container...

Envy07
11/07/2007, 07:57 PM
Is it better to cure live rock in a container under no light w/ heater, powerhead and such? (is this the method of cooking live rock?)

I really want to just let it cycle in a newly setup up tank with just new sand and saltwater. Can I just do that instead using a separate container or will this cause some long term problems due to dieoffs maybe sinking into the sand or something?

Thanks

uscharalph
11/07/2007, 08:02 PM
Depends on the condition of the rock?

Envy07
11/07/2007, 08:05 PM
Well I guess I'll be getting it from a well known LFS so I'm hoping its in good conditon. Or is it better to get it from other people willing to sell from an established tank

James77
11/07/2007, 08:47 PM
I have always cured mine in my display tanks. If you get the rock from a LFS that has had it for a while, or a local reefer, you will have very little curing time, if any.

Mini Me6
11/07/2007, 08:55 PM
Curing live rock in ur will take a while. Just remember not to add any live stock until all ur parameters are stable. My AP12 70HQI is still running for 11/2month with uncured LR. I am know starting see little ones comming to life. Priceless.

~SIRENA~
11/07/2007, 09:29 PM
I'm doing the same thing-some fully cured the other from my LFS not fully cured. Nice to know I'm not the only one. The tank looks great even without any livestock. I'm just waiting and being patient.... it is sssoooo worth it ;)

Envy07
11/07/2007, 09:55 PM
I'll be patient :p I'm sure i can wait w/o the need for livestock for a couple of months. The only thing i'm worried about is the long term effects from die offs and such contaminating the display tank and the sand. Do I also have to take the rock out and do scrubbings evey week?

bigtyguyy
11/07/2007, 10:06 PM
i am cycling a tank now with 45lbs in it and all i have been doing is shooting water at it once and awhile with a turkey baster to get the dead stuff of it

jgiannini
11/08/2007, 09:27 AM
I ordered my rock from liveaqauria.com and was using that to cycle my tank. Just remember that if you go this way, every week or so, scrub off the dead stuff with like a toothbrush or something similar....then vacuum out the stuff once it settles. It also helps to raise the temp in the tank to about 82 or so to speed the die-off.

coast2coast7390
11/08/2007, 11:41 AM
i only recomend doing this if you are just starting up your tank

Toddrtrex
11/08/2007, 01:01 PM
If you do cure it in your tank, I suggest not having the sand in there yet, that way you will be better able to see the detritus that will come off the rock. You will be able to remove it easier.

I recently cured 45 lbs of live rock in a rubbermaid container, after seeing all the "junk" that was left over in the container, I won't cure live rock in a tank again.

Ryeseedboy
11/08/2007, 02:11 PM
I agree with Todd. I just cured 110lb's of rock in a seperate container and I have to tell you with all the stuff that came off of/out of the rock I would never do it in my display tank.
You can, just be prepared that there may be alot of cleanup and you are going to want to be ablet o get all around and below the rock to get all the debris out.

Envy07
11/08/2007, 10:30 PM
Oh okay i guess I'll just do it in a separate container. WHat the average time of cycling in a container if I were to buy it off a LFS.

What if I were to buy it off someone that had an established tank? I heard that its not a good idea since we dont really know what kind of husbandry the owner did to his tank. He/she might have added medication and such. What are your inputs on this?

Playa-1
11/08/2007, 11:17 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11138690#post11138690 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Envy07
I'll be patient :p I'm sure i can wait w/o the need for livestock for a couple of months. The only thing i'm worried about is the long term effects from die offs and such contaminating the display tank and the sand. Do I also have to take the rock out and do scrubbings evey week?

I would not cure rock with the sand in your tank. If your going to cycle the LR in your display then do it without the sand. You will not want the contaminants from the LR die off in you sand.

Envy07
11/08/2007, 11:20 PM
Actually i'd like to cure the rock in the tank w/o the sand. Allows me to do the aquascaping without having to wait for a month or two:smokin:

Playa-1
11/08/2007, 11:31 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11145898#post11145898 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Envy07
Oh okay i guess I'll just do it in a separate container. WHat the average time of cycling in a container if I were to buy it off a LFS.

What if I were to buy it off someone that had an established tank? I heard that its not a good idea since we dont really know what kind of husbandry the owner did to his tank. He/she might have added medication and such. What are your inputs on this?

If you can get LR from a fellow reefer at a good price and they have a clue, then i would say go for it. If they had a tank for 6 months and couldn't keep anything alive in it and didn't have a clue then i would be very cautious.
I think that curing the LR in a seperate container is the way to go. You can use a Powerhead, Light, and heater to preserve as much life as possible or you can use a powerhead, heater and no light to keep algae to a minimum while you let the rock cure.
As far as how long it will take, that is primarily up to the condition of the rock, what was/is on it, how long it's been out of the water, how it was taken care of out of the water, etc.......
It could take a couple of days to a couple of months.

meco65
11/08/2007, 11:44 PM
If you buy cured LR from a LFS and you keep it wet on the way home, and are just a few hours getting it into the tank with saltwater, you more than likely wont have much of a cycle. I here all the time about setups cycleing in a few days instead of weeks. If you can buy ten or so lbs of LS also to seed your base sand it will speed up the bio-filter as well.

Playa-1
11/08/2007, 11:53 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11146410#post11146410 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by meco65
I you buy cured LR from a LFS and you keep it wet on the way home, and are just a few hours getting it into the tank with saltwater, you more than likely wont have much of a cycle. I here all the time about setups cycleing in a few days instead of weeks. If you can buy ten or so lbs of LS also to seed your base sand it will speed up the bio-filter as well.

meco65
11/09/2007, 12:03 AM
I had a 20gal tank that I cycled without LR when I started out in the hobby. I bought all of my LR from a good LFS, tranported it wet in news paper put it strate into my cycled tank and I did not have a spike at all.
Here is a pic of that tank.
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b86/meco65/2-18-06072.jpg