PDA

View Full Version : what are the componets of a refugium?

jake32010
11/07/2007, 06:59 PM
what are the componets of a refugium? what equipment do i need to make one?

mbbuna
11/07/2007, 07:24 PM
it depends on what you want in it. most people use a fuge to grow algae for nutrient export. if that what you want to do all you need is a tank, water going in and out, light and algae

jake32010
11/07/2007, 07:35 PM
who do i make the water from the filter to the refugium. who is it set up like were does the water come in and out, were does the fuge to grow algae and how does it work?

bertoni
11/07/2007, 07:44 PM
There's a link to a description of refugia in the stick note at the top of the forum:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1207731

The animation should help (click the "sump" link).

stagger19
11/07/2007, 07:50 PM
First u have to get water to flow from your tank to the sump (the sump is below the tank level) to achieve this, you can drill your tank, or use an overflow box. I tend to like drilled tanks as there less failure in the operation, but some risk the glass can crack when you drill. Just make sure you dont drill the bottom in a larger tank, as they are normally tempered (cant drill tempered glass, it will shatter)

the refugium or beter know as fuge can be purchased or made from an extra aquarium. Diy version use Baffles (made from glass or plexi) that are siliconed in the sump to hold water at a certain height, and direct water flow.

Then you have a pump in the sump to pump the water back into the tank. As the tank level rises, it flows over the overflow and the process repeats.

there are some important safety issues you need to take into account. If the power goes out, water will backflow down the return line till the water level drops below the return line in the tank. So u have to keep this return line higher in the tank and allow extra room in your sump for the water. Dont rely on backflow preventors for a salt fish tank.

Best advice...

There are plenty of articles on this site on each area of design, do a search and learn as much as you can on each before you deceide on anything.

jake32010
11/07/2007, 08:05 PM
can i see some pictures

Playa-1
11/08/2007, 12:04 AM
Here's a couple of good links for you to check out.
Do lots of research and reading before you do anything and you will save yourself a lot of frustration and cash.

www.melevsreef.com/acrylics/sumps/f/sump_f.html[/url]

www.wetwebmedia.com/refugium.htm