PDA

View Full Version : Netting a cleaner shrimp

sixteengallon
11/07/2007, 03:31 PM
I want to take my cleaner shrimp out of my 16 gallon and put him into my twenty without having to totally dismantle the tank to do it. i was thinking that if I put a brine shrimp pellet in a net that the shrimp might go into the net to retrieve the pellet, then I could yank him out of the tank before he gets a chance to escape the net.

What do you guys think? Any other ideas?

rickh
11/07/2007, 03:39 PM
I this a Skunk Cleaner shrimp?? Every time I put my arm in the tank my shrimp climbs on looking for a treat. R

Dingo Dog
11/07/2007, 04:35 PM
Try this. Put some food pellets inside a clear glass bottle like a coke or beer bottle that has a narrow neck & tie a string around the neck for easy removal. Then gently lower it to the bottom and wait.
Be careful and don't hit the bottle against the side of your tank. Slowly let the bottle fill with water to keep the pellets from being sucked out into the tank.

uscharalph
11/07/2007, 04:57 PM
I wouldn't think it would be to hard to get my cleaner shrimps out of my tank. Eveytime I put my hand near it, it climbs on to my hand to pick stuff off my skin.

darkcirca
11/07/2007, 05:03 PM
Yea mine are always interested in what I am doing. Kinda freaky to be doing something than you feel something walking on your arm.

The bottle idea isn't bad. They can jump out of a net, so be careful. When I transferred mine from the 56 to the 30, then into the 90 later, I just scooped them up with my hand and placed them in. They ran when they realized I wanted to hold them, but they are doing great still.

trwells
11/07/2007, 05:20 PM
The bottle will work. But the shrimp will be able to get out of it if given the time to do so. I used a bottle to catch a fish once and the shrimp would climb in and eat the food then climb out. But, if you remove the bottle fast enough he won't get out in time.

kevin2000
11/07/2007, 05:41 PM
No offense intended but this is the first post I have ever read indicating that catching a cleaner shrimp was a problem. In a normal situation the shrimp should come out when you stick your arm in the tank .. if not then you either have an unusual shrimp or your have fish in the tank that have attacked the shrimp.

ROB2005
11/07/2007, 06:00 PM
Actually, I just tease him with a piece of food and he crawls right up my hand and I carefully close not to startle him.

Blown 346
11/07/2007, 06:09 PM
I do the same thing as above.

jake32010
11/07/2007, 06:36 PM
just stick your arm in there every day for about 1 min do that intill he gets used to it and let him feel his ok and he will stay out when you put your hand in and he will slowly come to you