PDA

View Full Version : glass or acrilyc?

gusmanda
11/07/2007, 01:26 PM
what advantages does an acrylic tank have over a glass one and vice versa? Have seen both glass and acrylic tank-on-the-month's, so not sure what's best.

seapug
11/07/2007, 01:31 PM
acrylic is clearer and lighter, but the weight of the tank once it's full of water and rock doesn't matter much. You won't be able to pick it up and move it whether its made of glass or acrylic. Acrylic is easier to drill and modify, but scratches VERY easy, and there's nothing worse than a tank with a scratched up viewing pane. The new Starphire glass tanks are made of an extremely clear glass, but are a bit more $$$, as is acrylic. I personally prefer glass, but do understand the appeal of acrylic.

wizzbane15
11/07/2007, 01:36 PM
Glass is heavy, acrylic is light. Glass is hard, acrylic can scratch pretty easily. Glass tanks have open tops with braces depending on size, acrylic has a top with holes cut out.

Depending on the size of tank you are looking at, I rarely see glass tanks over 180g.

gusmanda
11/07/2007, 01:38 PM
is one more likely to leak than the the other? Someone was telling me that the silicone in glass tanks begins to leak after 8 years or so, unless more silicone is added

sruiz
11/07/2007, 02:08 PM
Most Importanlty acrylic scratches way easier than glass. Glass just looks 100X cleaner than acrylic.

wizzbane15
11/07/2007, 02:18 PM
it is somewhat true about silicone getting old over time. I'm not sure I would go so far as to say it will leak. I have seen plenty of glass tanks that have been up for much longer than 8 years and no leaks. The bigger problem, IMO, is that silicone becomes slightly discolored over time.

Ryeseedboy
11/07/2007, 02:30 PM
I have always had glass and now have glass and acrylic, I like the clarity of the acrylic and I feel a little safer with the strength of the acrylic. If it scratchs it can be buffed out even with the water still in the tank. Acrylic also tends to hold int he heat a little more, so in colder area's may be good, warmer area's with the use of heavy lighting then a chiller may be req'd. BTW, I have also had my glass tanks scratch so to know that the acrylic can be buffed out fairly easy that was an apeal to me...