PDA

View Full Version : when to add fish

godxzilla
11/07/2007, 10:21 AM
I have a newly set up 75 gallon (FOWLR this week :D). Its been up for about 3-4 weeks, but the cycle was almost non-existant due to using plenty of sand and rock from an established reef.

This past Friday I added a pair of Ocellaris Clowns, and have tested my water every day since then with no fluctuations in ammonia/nitrate. My question is, when can I add anything else? Oh, I forgot to mention there is a base cleanup crew (dozen hermits, few dozen snails my good lfs suggested. I wanted to add more, but I want to be sure I dont overdo it.

I was thinking of adding a sally lightfoot, a sand sifting goby, and a yellow tang at some point. When am I ready? Anything I should look out for behavior wise or otherwise?

Thanks in advance...

Mike

dsn112
11/07/2007, 10:23 AM
Everyone has different views, but if the parameters are good adding fish slowly should be fine. I added my fish one week apart to let the fish adjust to their new home. Everyone is doing well

wizzbane15
11/07/2007, 10:27 AM
Skimmer? If not, I would look into getting one. That will help keep your tank stable when you do start adding livestock.

As for adding a sally lightfoot, sand goby, and a yellow tang: I would say it could be okay now. They would represent a very small bioload change to a 75g with LS and LR already established.

godxzilla
11/07/2007, 10:29 AM
Yes im running a ~26 gallon sump with a Euro Reef RS80 skimmer. a mag7 as my return pump so im turning over maybe 8x/hr....

killagoby
11/07/2007, 10:33 AM
I just set up and cycled a 70 gallon tank in a week.

I had added 70 lbs of cured LR from the LFS, and a few days later added 40 lbs of rock from my old 29 gallon reef that was up and running for three years. I also added half of the sand from the old refugium in to the new tank's refugium. In a week I saw no major cycle so I added all of the corals from the old tank along with a clown fish that I had.

The tank has been up and running for a month now and so far I have added my Tuexedo Urchin, a dozen snails, 3 Bartlett's Anthais, and a Flasher Wrasse.

I test my parameters every other day and the only one that shows is a small level Nitrate. Tonight I am going to do my first major water change to get rid of it. I had also done 3 smaller 5 gallon water changes, a week apart from each other, with water from the old tank. I hope that helps!