PDA

View Full Version : Little Giant trouble

pbukow
11/07/2007, 01:09 AM
My Little Giant pump failed recently. It is pretty old i guess, over a year. The impeller, casing, wires all seem fine. Probably a motor problem i assume. Does anyone know if there are any ways to repair the motor, or any stores in las vegas that specialize in repairing these pumps.

rgulrich
11/07/2007, 07:22 AM
Here's a link to their site:
http://www.lgpc.com/
They should be able to point you to a repair/replace facility nearby.
FWIW, I've had a few 3MDSC pumps for over 15 years (heck one almost 20 now...), so it might just need a good cleaning or oil. The manuals are on the site as well.
Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Ray

JaredWaites
11/07/2007, 09:08 AM
pbukow,

All right lets see if I can help you.

When you say it failed...do you mean its not turning on at all? Its loud and screeching? OR its not pumping as much water? Or what? Get into detail, it might be something you can fix by purchasing a part from them if its not under warranty.

I'd try to dissasemble the wet end and look and see if you have any impeller problems, then look at your diffuser plate and your seals, and shaft. If the shaft is locked up you might as well get ready to buy another motor for the wet end. Or if the bearings are shot (if its loud), then you need to have an electric motor shop rewind the motor and fix the bearings, that or get a new motor.

myakkareef
11/07/2007, 11:36 AM
Sorry to hear that. I have 2 LG's that have been running for over 10 years and have never been maintained other then oiling the bearings per the manufacturer. There are 2 little plugs youremove and squirt alittle oil on the bearings. Atleast on the MD series pumps. Not the most quiet or cool pumps, but my experiience has been nothing but great.

JaredWaites
11/07/2007, 12:35 PM
Yeah I haven't experienced any problems, they work great and their warranty is great...in and out of warranty!

pbukow
11/07/2007, 06:36 PM
I think it might be a the motor unfortunately. To tell you the truth, the pump didn't belong to me, I got it from a friend who was just going to throw it out. I figure if i can fix it, i have a spare pump laying around, which is never a bad thing.

I don't think he ever oiled it so maybe thats the problem. I took apart the volute and looked at the impeller, shaft, and all the stuff in the wet part: no visible damage that would prevent it from working. I also unsrcewed the back part where all of the wires are located: again nothing that would indicate to me that its not getting power or anything like that. So i guess something is wrong with the motor :(

Does anyone know if the oil needed has to be special ordered from the manufacturer or I can pick it up at a hardware store. Thanks for all the help so far everyone!