PDA

View Full Version : Should I dose on a 12 gall?

YoitsArson
11/06/2007, 10:43 PM
I do weekly 3 gallon water changes and I test for calcium and its always good so I dont need to dose for that but is there something I can add to help the corals grow or add to there health? Right now I am feeding zooplankton and brine. I have been thinking of getting cyclopeeze after hearing so much about it and not being satisfied with my current food. Oh and I am keeping mostly LPS with a few SPS under 70w mh.

mikey3165
11/06/2007, 10:44 PM
i owuld jsut let things go on their own course and with the right lights and parameters everything will go smoothly :]

seapug
11/06/2007, 10:51 PM
"dosing" anything is rarely necessary on a small tank that gets regular water changes, but I always recommend getting an alkalinity test kit and using baking soda to keep it in the correct range. It's one parameter that can still get out of whack despite good husbandry practices. Keeping it high has a number of good effects on the growth of corals and overall health of the system.

demonsp
11/06/2007, 10:53 PM
Well with only sps and lps then doseing would be a great idea. A kalk drip ( they have DIY threads on this ). Your coral would be happier in the long run.
You say calcium readings are fine but what is the actuall reading and what is the reading before you change water. If there is a variance then doseing enough to keep calcium level at consitant levels are always best.
But this is only if you dont use tap water , and keep all tank readings constant and level. But sounds like you know all this .

reefnetworth
11/06/2007, 10:54 PM
just keep up the WCs and no doseing should be required. i would test for Alk, Ca, Mg, SG, pH, PO4, I/IO & NO-3 before & then after your next WC to determine how much is being used before considering any type of doseing.
i use C-E in my tanks (2 yrs.) and it seems to do well. dose it lighltly to lower the risk of raising NO-3, NH3/NH4 levels.
good luck! :thumbsup:

PatMayo
11/06/2007, 11:40 PM
With a tank that small and with weekly water changes I don't see why you would need to dose anything. I would just keep the water changes up.

Using a good quality sea salt should take care of everything.

Regards,

Pat

demonsp
11/06/2007, 11:49 PM
Heres some info. http://www.asira.org/acropora
And i quote, Steady, healthy calcium (400 to 450 ppm) and alkalinity (3.0 to 4.5 meq/L) levels are important for coral health and growth.