PDA

View Full Version : info on Coral Banded Shrimp

jake32010
11/06/2007, 10:38 PM
info on Coral Banded Shrimp? anyone

seapug
11/06/2007, 10:44 PM
kinda cool, but tend to be a little "grumpy" around fish. If you want one I'd recommend getting a Yellow/Gold Banded Coral Shrimp. They stay a bit smaller and are a little more reclusive. The "regular" red & white ones can get big and some have a bad habit of picking at corals and attacking fish.

jake32010
11/06/2007, 10:45 PM
ok thanks

fatrip
11/06/2007, 10:56 PM
they are very mean to other shrimp....aka....they eat them...lol...they also try and go after fish when they are sleeping...i would suggest a skunk cleaner, or if it is a small tank maybe some sexy shrimp.

demonsp
11/06/2007, 11:07 PM
Heres a little info . GL http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/scateg.cfm?pCatId=525

zma21
11/06/2007, 11:40 PM
I watched my Red/white one eat my male percula clown. :) I'll never buy one again. :):)

demonsp
11/07/2007, 12:04 AM
My fancy star eat my blood red. But didnt figure out untill 2 more cleaners went. So the star went. My new motto " anything thats iffy or a caution will never be added ".

Mavrk
11/07/2007, 12:08 AM
I would skip them and get a couple skunk cleaner shrimp.

Reefer07
11/07/2007, 12:08 AM
If you want the coral banded because it looks cool go for the Fire Shrimp or Cleaner shrimp. They are both more peaceful and very unique in color and such.
I originally wanted a coral banded but then I came across these guys. I still haven't picked up either one but I am going to get the cleaner soon. I am going to wait for the Fire Shrimp till me and a few of my buddies do a Foster and Smith order.

drawman
11/07/2007, 12:09 AM
I've never gotten one because I know people who have had small fish eaten.

An interesting fact is that they can single out prey/predators by smell. I talked with a marine biologist who was studying this off of st. thomas.

ROB2005
11/07/2007, 08:35 AM
Just make sure you keep him fed with pieces of shrimp, squid or whatever. I had mine for two years and he has never bothered none of the critters in my tank. :)

dbuesking
11/07/2007, 08:52 AM
i have had one for 3mo. and a fire shrimp with 9 fish with no problems yet:rolleyes:

riley290
11/07/2007, 09:21 AM
I also kept one with 4 fish and a few corals and other shrimp and had no problem. The pep shrimps and gobies avoided him at all costs but I never saw an aggressive display from anyone. Having said that I know the CBS is very hit or miss as the guy down the street is about to tear out 200lbs of live rock to get his out as his small fish all hide now cause he won't leave them alone. I would recommend you go a different way, as stated above there are other ornamental shrimp that will be much more peaceful and you'll have the peace of mind that you don't have to continually watch to see if things are going to get ugly, it makes those weekend trips or going to work hell sometimes, especially when you've added an expensive new specimen.

ReefGirlSara
11/07/2007, 09:34 AM
I pretty much agree with everyone. I have a CBS, a cleaner, and 2 peppermint, and they get along just fine, but I added the CBS last and he was very small when I added him, and he seems to be a very calm CBS so far, but I don't really trust him. I like the personality of my cleaner shrimp much better, he's pretty cool.

As a side note, I had a fire shrimp, and he just disappeared one day (long before the cleaner and the CBS were added.) I actually got a 2nd fire shrimp and he also lasted about 2-3 months then disappeared. Does any know if brittle stars eat them? I couldn't figure out what happened to them, but I'm happy with my current shrimp now.

Oh, and I agree also on the Gold CBS. I have one in a different tank and he is really pretty and very calm and reclusive. He's always peeking out from behind rocks and stuff. So, if you definitely want a CBS, you might consider a Gold CBS.

wizzbane15
11/07/2007, 02:51 PM
I keep a mated pair of CBS in my 125. I have not had any overt problems with them but there are always those days where I scratch my head and wonder "how did that happen"..............