PDA

View Full Version : Metal decorations in tank?

95accord
11/06/2007, 10:15 PM
would stainless steel? Aluminium? brass? or other types of metal be safe in a tank?

for example a sort of metal statuet or similar.

what type of metals would be safe if any?

just curious

Blown 346
11/06/2007, 10:18 PM
I wouldnt use metals in a tank, they can leach out chemicals in the water which can take out a system.

demonsp
11/06/2007, 10:19 PM
Metal in your tank is not good. I think you could cover it with some type of epoxy or similar but dont quote me.
As bare metal is not a good idea.

fatrip
11/06/2007, 10:22 PM
well stainless will rust believe it or not, which isnt too bad if you are just having fish. aluminium is very very bad for corals, not sure with fish tho, and i am sure it would leach into the system. brass is very bad because it contains copper which in high doeses will kill the fish and in small doeses will kill corals...it isnt the greatest idea to use a metal statue, i would go with a plastic one with no paint or a clay one. but i have seen a real anchor in a hugh 1000g tank that was just rusting away and didnt hurt the fish. but there were no corals.

95accord
11/06/2007, 10:26 PM
see, i have a FOWLR tank......and was thinking about putting a piston from a blown motor in my tank. but most pistons are made from high grade aluminium.

but i was also thinking maybe a small cylinder block wchi is made from cast iron

some sort of car parts, boat parts......just to give the look as if something sank there that doesnt realy belong :P

demonsp
11/06/2007, 10:32 PM
Doesnt sound like a good idea. Mb go reef and some coral would look better then any high performance engine part.

fatrip
11/06/2007, 10:51 PM
well piston from motor bad, cast iron small, very small, one cylinder small, would be alright if it had never been used. I would steer clear of anything that has been used with any types of oils and such. even if you were to clean your best, in an engine block or piston for that matter the oil molecules will physically bond to the metal and will leach over time killing everything in your tank. you could always sink a plastic motor boat...lol...

fatrip
11/06/2007, 10:54 PM
if you can find some one with a cnc machine or layth, you could probibly make a boat prop out of gray plastic.