PDA

View Full Version : what does a chiller do for your tank? and were can i get a low priced one?

jake32010
11/06/2007, 09:46 PM
what does a chiller do for your tank? and were can i get a low priced one? please help me

demonsp
11/06/2007, 09:49 PM
I cant help it. It chills it. heh. But better , one of the best things for a reff tank is consistant readings from temp to calcium. And a chiller helps do this by keeping the water temp. at the desired setting constant. Not sure if its need in the winter though.

But it has one fallback. It wont work on unfiltered tap water. Not sure why just one of those unexplained things.

poppin_fresh
11/06/2007, 09:52 PM
A chiller is only needed if you have a problem keeping the temp down in your tank. With high powered lighting and high room temps, some people need help keeping their tanks cool.

Halides and warmer climates (southern states) can cause a tank to be well over 84 degrees. I have heard of tanks reaching 95+!

poppin_fresh
11/06/2007, 09:53 PM
Wont work on unfiltered tap water?? Never heard that before.

a2fire2i
11/06/2007, 10:02 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11131890#post11131890 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by demonsp
one of the best things for a reff tank is consistant readings from temp to calcium.

Mine swings 5 degrees each day and ive never had a problem with it..

Sk8r
11/06/2007, 10:58 PM
jake, in ohio, you're not likely to need one. You want to keep your tank about 80 degrees. Not hard, in Ohio. Use a fan in summer, and of course, no lids. You just blow a fan over the water and it will cool. A chiller is about 300.00, and you'd do better getting a really good skimmer or [if you're going to keep corals] a kalk reactor. But save your budget on the latter: you don't need it until corals start to grow. A skimmer, if you don't have one, is a near-essential investment.

demonsp
11/06/2007, 11:03 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11132005#post11132005 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by a2fire2i
Mine swings 5 degrees each day and ive never had a problem with it..

And you may never have a problem. Fish dont mind as much as the coral might. And any real red neck reefer tries for constant consistant readings for a happy healthy eco system.

( As i slide my hand above my head ) Tap water remark was a joke.
:)

PatMayo
11/06/2007, 11:37 PM
If you have a sump you can purchase a small fan and clip it on the sump. The fan blows air on the top of the water thus cooling the water.

It's much less expensive than a chiller. Chillers also make some noise and aren't really good in a family type room but best in a separate room. I would have the tank for a while before decidiing whether or not you need one.

Regards,

Pat

Mavrk
11/07/2007, 12:02 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11131858#post11131858 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jake32010
what does a chiller do for your tank? and were can i get a low priced one? please help me

It makes it more expensive :D

Therre have been several discussions about temperature in reef tanks here on RC. Many of us have come to believe that the more stable your temperature is, the more suseptable your corals will be to temperature changes. So I'd skip it unless your tank gets REALLY hot.

sruiz
11/07/2007, 01:07 AM
SK8R,PATMAYO,AND MAVRK, Could not have said it better. Read their posting again. My brother and my best friends both have had problems with their water temp. Now they both have a small clip on fan on their sump. And ABRA CADABRA, the heat is gone. I'm actually going to go buy a small fan for my sump tomm.

sruiz
11/07/2007, 01:08 AM
Oh yeah if you fell that you need to blow some money I have also heard of people buying a little fridge for 100.00 dollars and rigging one up as a chiller. Any one here done that before??