PDA

View Full Version : Setting up a saltwater tank

masterkaw
11/06/2007, 09:23 PM
I’m thinking of going into salt water fish only. I have read a lot about salt water, but I need some advice with equipment and what testing equipment I need. I have a 72 gallon tank, and I only plan of having four to five fish and some invertebrates.

Here is the equipment I have;

Eheim 2028
Eheim 2026
Two Koralia 4 (1200 gph)
Coralife turbo twist 3X 9 Watt UV sterilizer
Spectrapure MaxCap RO/DI
Two Visi-Therm Stealth 250 Watt heaters
Refractometer
260 Watt 48” Fluorescent Fixture lighting (4- 65 Watt bulb, 2 - 12,000 day light bulb, 2 - true actinic bulb)
Aragonite Sand
I’m planning on buying some live rock.
API Saltwater Test kit

What else do I need to get this going? I read about skimmers but I don’t think I want one because I don’t want a skimmer that’s hanging from the tank and I don’t have a sump to put one in.

What do you guys think of what I have? What else do I need? Any advice would greatly appreciated. Thank you

poppin_fresh
11/06/2007, 09:48 PM
You have a decent set up going but with out a sump, where are you going to put the UV and heaters? I think you will have a lot of stuff hanging in the tank already a skimmer wont be a big deal.

demonsp
11/06/2007, 09:59 PM
Well you say you want FO but some inverts. Cant have both. And with a FO tank you would be better going bare bottom. The SB just collect nitrates and after time ,months or yrs. this will cause problems.
You are on the right track though , research is very important.
With just a few fish and regular water changes then you could get by without a skimmer but i wouldnt. Also uv sterilizer in Fo is over kill if your useing RO water.
Also having as much LR upfront is best , or base rock. to let system cycle. I think you need to decide if coral will ever be wanted along as the SB if so then you need to rethink stock.
And with the addtional toys a refugium would really be best.

Illuminati
11/06/2007, 11:44 PM
Where in WI? I know of some reef clubs in the state.