nash1999
11/06/2007, 07:17 PM
I've been reading about all of the beneficial effects of fresh garlic to a reef
and it's inhabitants - fish and invertebrates alike. I was wondering if you
all have found this to be true in your systems and the proper way to
administer it...thanks!

itsthesong
11/06/2007, 07:19 PM
Yes I have! It is a boost to the fishe's immune system and has tons of antioxitants, minerals, vitamins, etc., I would highly encourage the use. You simply allow the food to soak in the galric extreme paste (my personal garlic of choice) for a few hours (or overnight) and then feed to the tank. Great for finicky eaters, too!
Oh, and
[welcome]

mr.stevebaer@ya
11/06/2007, 07:26 PM
So how are you preparing the garlic, or are you buying a specifc garlic additive for marine tanks?

kevin2000
11/06/2007, 07:30 PM
Garlic/garlic extract became popular based on rumors implying it was an effective cure against ich.

To my knowledge there is no evidence that supports this rumor and the one scientific study that some say supports the rumor actually says the opposite.

Many would argue that garlic is nutritional and helps stimulate appetite - both would help the fish's immune system and perhaps help with ich/disease issues. But some/many would argue that selcon or other "less smelly" food additives would provide the same benefit.

ledford1
11/06/2007, 07:32 PM
The garlic products in the LFS are awfully pricey for the little amount you get. I would only buy one of those if I had a finicky fish or a fish I was worried about. You can buy garlic juice at the grocery store at a much better price point.

And yeah, I use garlic. Put a few drops on frozen cubes or let frozen foods thaw in garlic juice in a dedicated cup I have.

nash1999
11/06/2007, 07:37 PM
mr.steVebaer - I have not begun using it yet - I wanted to get some thoughts on
it from others first. I have even read that the most benefit comes from a clove
that has been freshly diced??
What preparations are available?
Thanks

ledford1
11/06/2007, 07:43 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11130794#post11130794 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kevin2000
Many would argue that garlic is nutritional and helps stimulate appetite - both would help the fish's immune system and perhaps help with ich/disease issues. But some/many would argue that selcon or other "less smelly" food additives would provide the same benefit.
You're right, there is a debate. I would also argue about an ounce of prevention. If it truly stimulates the appetite and boosts the immune system, great, if it doesn't, you're out $3. As far as being able to study the true effect of garlic, it is very difficult. To say that garlic helped the fish fight off Ich or aided in recovery from HLLE is tough because you're trying to isolate this small variable from all the others in the environment. So much of what you hear is personal experiences.

uscharalph
11/06/2007, 07:52 PM
I use Selcon

nash1999
11/06/2007, 07:59 PM
A couple of you have mentioned of the use of Selcon instead -
any further thoughts from anyone regarding this?
Thanks!!

stuccodude
11/06/2007, 08:40 PM
i had ich bad, used garlic extreme and now ich is gone, i swallow a garlic glove before camping for the mosquitos and it works, why not for fish, people will argue and argue the only way to cure ich is to qt and copper or hypo but i disagree

kevin2000
11/06/2007, 08:56 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11131361#post11131361 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by stuccodude
i had ich bad, used garlic extreme and now ich is gone, i swallow a garlic glove before camping for the mosquitos and it works, why not for fish, people will argue and argue the only way to cure ich is to qt and copper or hypo but i disagree
Many ich cure posts are based solely on anecdotal evidence - however the vast majority of people who swear by "reef safe" ich cures are unaware that ich naturally falls off a fish in about a week.

Here's a good link which discusses ich .. and more importantly its life cycle which is key to some of the controversy about ich.

http://www.petsforum.com/personal/trevor-jones/marineich.html

reefergeorge
11/06/2007, 08:59 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11131361#post11131361 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by stuccodude

If anyone ever finds a cure for marine ich they will be a very rich person. What happened to you is a coinsidense. The garlic may have boosted their immune system. I'm glad it worked for you, but copper, hypo, and time is the only way to rid ich.

nash1999
11/06/2007, 09:11 PM
What about Super Ich Cure? Do any of the over the counter ich products work??