PDA

View Full Version : Setting up a saltwater tank

masterkaw
11/06/2007, 05:34 PM
I’m thinking of going into salt water fish only. I have read a lot about salt water, but I need some advice with equipment and what testing equipment I need. I have a 72 gallon tank, and I only plan of having four to five fish and some invertebrates.

Here is the equipment I have;

Eheim 2028
Eheim 2026
Two Koralia 4 (1200 gph)
Coralife turbo twist 3X 9 Watt UV sterilizer
Spectrapure MaxCap RO/DI
Two Visi-Therm Stealth 250 Watt heaters
Refractometer
260 Watt 48” Fluorescent Fixture lighting (4- 65 Watt bulb, 2 - 12,000 day light bulb, 2 - true actinic bulb)
Aragonite Sand
I’m planning on buying some live rock.
API Saltwater Test kit

What else do I need to get this going? I read about skimmers but I don’t think I want one because I don’t want a skimmer that’s hanging from the tank and I don’t have a sump to put one in.

What do you guys think of what I have? What else do I need? Any advice would greatly appreciated. Thank you

Blown 346
11/06/2007, 05:42 PM
Sounds like your off to a great start. Skimmers arent a have to have, but they do help out alot with the removale of built up organics. If you keep up with water changes you can go without a skimmer.

It looks like the only you might not have put on the list is substrate. I would go with sand, avoid the crushed coral as it will just become a headache. I would go out and buy dry base sand from your fish store. The liverock will seed it and make it live.

sruiz
11/06/2007, 05:43 PM
you could buy a black background and then you wont see the HOB skimmer.

Piscator
11/06/2007, 05:48 PM
Pretty much everyone will try to talk you into the skimmer. And if you get one, you won't regret it. I believe you could plumb them in-line, so you don't need to have a sump to avoid the HOB eye sore.

That said, with good water changes, plenty of live rock, and careful maintainance of the canisters, you could do it. FO can tolerate higher nitrates, but your cleanup crew may suffer from early demise if they get too high.

I've never used UV, and many folks don't, with great success.

The Koralias will give you good circulation, should be plenty with 2.

Get a bucket of salt and have fun! Take it slow.

Best wishes,

corals b 4 bills
11/06/2007, 05:51 PM
As you progress with this hobby you will come to see the benifits of a protein skimmer then your next list will go as follows...
1. tank
2. rock
3. skimmer
4. circulation
5. lighting
6. r/o/di
Ect.