PDA

View Full Version : Cheato question

Vinnie71975
11/06/2007, 04:26 PM
I had cheato in my display tank until it all died off(at least i think it was dead it turned white and very very brittle) Any ideas what would cause it? it had a 9k bulb over it(20 watt bulb) and the tank was cycling so i know there were nutrients in the water for it. any ideas ?

Blown 346
11/06/2007, 05:31 PM
Yes it was dead. The tank cycling would kill it, the chaeto is there for nutrient export and pods etc. It cant handle when a tank cycles. Plus Chaeto likes light, I dont think you had enough.

drawman
11/06/2007, 05:34 PM
Did you actively prune it during growth and have a constant input of nutrients (ie feedings and fish)? Otherwise check your flow.

Piscator
11/06/2007, 05:39 PM
I believe the chaeto need Nitrates and phosphates for good growth, both of which will be in any system with fish.

In a new cycling tank, I suspect your levels of these are actually pretty low. Also, I think the light is pretty minimal. Most people use much higher lighting (like 75W) in a smaller area (sump).

Just some thoughts.

I would wait for the cycle to finish, add CUC, a fish or so, buy some more chaeto, pump up the light...and watch it grow!

Best wishes,

Muggle
11/06/2007, 05:39 PM
I don't think the light is the problem. I have a 20 watt over my fuge and I have cheatos growing like they are on steroid. But like Blown 346 said, the cycle probably killed them.

Vinnie71975
11/07/2007, 12:46 AM
Thanks a ton guys! i have my Snails and Hermits in now showing Minimal nitrate 0 Nitrite 0 Ammonia but im still waiting next to go in is a Skunk Cleaner Shrimp Pair then a couple weeks after that ill add my first fish a pair of Bengali Cardinals, then a few weeks after that my clowns