PDA

View Full Version : HOB skimmer vs Sump for a 55

UNCKEYHERB
11/06/2007, 03:01 PM
I have a 55 gallon tank that I am thinking of making into a reef tank. My plans were to drill and run to a 20 gal sump with an in sump skimmer. However, I recently went to Big Al's by where I live and they have a HOB on what would appear to be at least a 90 gallon tank. Just wondered what everyone thought about HOB's. Obviously, utilizing a sump is better, just wanted to know if a HOB skimmer is a suitable compromise?

Carlos
11/06/2007, 03:28 PM
HOB skimmers are ok but it depends on the brand of the skimmer.

Just like anything, there are some HOB skimmers that are just crap. Stay away from the really cheap skimmers (this is not a cheap hobby and if you go cheap now, you will end up spending twice as much in the long run).

I have personal experience with Remora skimmers and they are really good.

Skimmers are usually over rated. A skimmer that is rated for 100 gallons can only probably handle 50-75 gallons in reality. Keep that in mind.

Carlos

ahullsb
11/06/2007, 07:25 PM
I have a 55 as well. Do the sump. I think you will be much happier that way in the long run!

fatrip
11/06/2007, 08:13 PM
sump all the way, think of all the advantages you will gain from a sump. first off, no ugly skimmer hanging on the back which will put micro bubble into your display causing the corals, mostly sps, to suck in there polyps cause they hate little bubbles. 2nd all of your heaters/cooling fans, carbon, and chem media have a place to be. 3rd you can have a denitrifing station weather it be refug or DSB. 4th if it is a reef tank you have a place to drip kalk and add cal/alk buffers. you will be much happier with the sump. believe me i have gone through the hang on back stage and you will be much happier just skipping it...JMO

NeveSSL
11/06/2007, 08:22 PM
Definitely do a sump. If you have to wait to do one, then wait. You'll have a better tank for it. :)

Brandon

UNCKEYHERB
11/07/2007, 09:53 AM
Thats kind of what I was expect to hear. Thanks for the responses!

krikor
11/07/2007, 10:04 AM
i run two hob skimmers on my two tanks, one remora (awesome no bubbles) one berlin (works great but bubbles out the wazoo)

Im speficically running a sump to get this skimmer off my tank.

Philby
11/07/2007, 11:32 AM
I think you will enjoy other advantages from having a sump besides being able to choose an in-sump skimmer.

I am setting up my tank with a sump - and my skimmer (CSS 125) can actually be used in sump or HOB - and I'm actually using the HOB "hardware" to hang the skimmer off one of the baffles so it will be a hybrid insump/HOB (we'll see if that works or if I need to rethink, system's not wet yet, hopefully this weekend!!)

Besides skimmer options - you will benefit from increased water volume, microbubble diffusion, ability to move other equipment to the sump (heater, probes, other filtration, etc) and if you choose you could even set up a refugium by putting some baffles in the sump.

mg426
11/07/2007, 01:09 PM
I vote for the sump !!!

stingythingy45
11/07/2007, 01:35 PM
I have a HOB skimmer,Bak Pak Reef 2 and it works great on my 55.I definitely plan on doing a sump,but down to the basement.
BTW,just so you know.A 10 gallon,20L will not fit under the typical 55 stand(way too narrow).