PDA

View Full Version : Anemone & SPS in 70G - Can it be done?

cd77
11/06/2007, 12:55 PM
I've seen pictures of many tanks with both SPS and an Anemone. While my tank is still young (~3 months) I'm still doing research -- so I don't plan to add either SPS or an Anemone for another 6 months or so while my tank matures.

I'm curious to know what your thoughts of keeping both SPS and a single anemone in a 70G tank would be. Is it feasible? Possible? If so, would you recommend adding the anemone first so that it can find a happy spot before adding SPS frags? I have a happy pair of clowns. What anemone would you recommend? RBTA seems to be the most recommended for newbes, but I've also read they're the most likely to roam.

nauticac4
11/06/2007, 01:14 PM
I would do the anemone first so it can get situated. A BTA sounds like a good first nem. I have had one for about 3 months now and he doesn't roam took about a week to find his place and stayed. Then start placing your SPS. Make sure ur lighting is up to SPS (halide or T5) and your water quality needs to be excellent for both the nem and SPS.

Blazer88
11/06/2007, 01:44 PM
I've had an RBTA with my SPS for a few years now. It shouldn't move once it is settled in as long as it doesn't get stressed out.

xtm
11/06/2007, 02:17 PM
Just make sure the BTA doesn't touch any SPS. I have a BTA that co-existed with my SPS for months... until one day it decided to move right next to my A. Valida colony. A month later the Valida colony started to RTN.. I don't know for a fact if the BTA has anything to do with it, but I've had that colony for 2 years and it has grown from a tiny frag. All of a sudden it RTN'ed after the BTA sat right next to it.

LockeOak
11/06/2007, 04:18 PM
As someone keeping SPS in a 10G (soon upgrading to a 55), yes, it can be done. Granted, I'm sure with better lighting/flow they would have better color, but I've had green slimer acropora for over 6 months with growth.

cd77
11/06/2007, 06:23 PM
Thanks, folks :) All good to hear. I think I will place the BTA first before putting any SPS frags in the tank.