PDA

View Full Version : Plumbing for AGA corner Megaflow

Capt. Nemo
11/06/2007, 12:32 PM
Hi everyone,

My AGA 55 gal. tank has the MegaFlow corner overflow built-in. Fitted at the bottom of the tank are a 1" bulkhead with hose barb for the drain and a 3/4" bulkhead w/ hose barb for the return. I used corrugated hosing in my previous setup to connect the drain to my sump and was happy with it so I plan on using it for this tank as well. The question I have is what inside diamter hosing do I need to connect to the 1" bulkhead with hose barb? For the return, I plan on using vinyl/flexible tubing. What size tubing do I need to connect to a 3/4" hose barb?

Thanks,
Gary

dragon174
11/06/2007, 01:07 PM
if the tank isn't set up with water yet, take the barbed fittings to any good hardware store and they can help you with the proper sized hose. (this does not me home depot or lowes. while i like these places, they are not very helpful and they may not have everything you need which will cause you to have to run to a bunch of different stores. learn from my pain and suffering... go to a good hardware/plumbing store).

i just set up a 120 gallon with the same overflow (x2) and i think i ended up getting 1 1/4" ID hose for the drain (overflow) tube and 3/4" for the return.

i used flexible vinyl tubing and secured each one with a hose clamp to make sure they were secure.

hope that helps.

db_triggerfish
11/06/2007, 01:21 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11128060#post11128060 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dragon174
if the tank isn't set up with water yet, take the barbed fittings to any good hardware store and they can help you with the proper sized hose. (this does not me home depot or lowes. while i like these places, they are not very helpful and they may not have everything you need which will cause you to have to run to a bunch of different stores. learn from my pain and suffering... go to a good hardware/plumbing store).

i just set up a 120 gallon with the same overflow (x2) and i think i ended up getting 1 1/4" ID hose for the drain (overflow) tube and 3/4" for the return.

i used flexible vinyl tubing and secured each one with a hose clamp to make sure they were secure.

hope that helps.

That sounds about right 1 1/4" for drain and 3/4" return both (I.D.) inner diameter. I should be setting my first rr tank an aga 75g by the end of the week. Lowes and HD you are on your own.

Capt. Nemo
11/06/2007, 01:27 PM
Thanks dragon. So did you use corrugated/ribbed hosing for the drain and flexible vinyl tubing for the return? Did you use the 1" and 3/4" bulkheads with hosebarbs that came with your Megaflow overflow accessory kit? Thanks again!

Gary

Capt. Nemo
11/06/2007, 01:32 PM
What did you use to connect the hosing to the hose barb? A hose cuff?

dragon174
11/06/2007, 03:16 PM
yeah, my tank came with the all glass mega overflows with the new barbed fittings. they are a lot nicer to work with and less chance for leaks (improvement over the old style).

i used flexible tubing on both drain and return. my drain tubing is thick wall and was a pain to get on the barb. if you are using the flexible clear tubing, heat up the end with a hair dryer and it will help soften it up to go over the barb.

i secured the flexible tubing to the barb with screw down hose clamps.

Capt. Nemo
11/06/2007, 04:14 PM
I just picked up some black vinyl tubing from Home Depot. I had heard that you may get some algae build up with the clear tubing so therefore I got the black. I dont know how true this is and if it really matters. The hair dryer is a great idea. Thanks again!

Gary