PDA

View Full Version : Setting up a saltwater tank

masterkaw
11/06/2007, 11:40 AM
I’m thinking of going into salt water fish only. I have read a lot about salt water, but I need some advice with equipment and what testing equipment I need. I have a 72 gallon tank, and I only plan of having four to five fish and some invertebrates.

Here is the equipment I have;

Eheim 2028
Eheim 2026
Two Koralia 4 (1200 gph)
Coralife turbo twist 3X 9 Watt UV sterilizer
Spectrapure MaxCap RO/DI
Two Visi-Therm Stealth 250 Watt heaters
Refractometer
260 Watt 48” Fluorescent Fixture lighting (4- 65 Watt bulb, 2 - 12,000 day light bulb, 2 - true actinic bulb)
Aragonite Sand
I’m planning on buying some live rock.
API Saltwater Test kit

What else do I need to get this going? I read about skimmers but I don’t think I want one because I don’t want a skimmer that’s hanging from the tank and I don’t have a sump to put one in.

What do you guys think of what I have? What else do I need? Any advice would greatly appreciated. Thank you

cmejaf30
11/06/2007, 11:45 AM
A sump would be a nice addition and wouldn't require that much more work. A couple overflows and a little PVC. Good weekend project and would help your system immensly. Everything looks good although with that lighting and everything you probably won't need 500W of heating. One would probably do the trick. I've got a 300W on my 55 and with the addition of my lights i'm probably going to have to plumb in a chiller. Other than that things look good. Are you planning on reefin' it up or strictly FO. If reef and you don't have the lights already you should think about upgrading to MH lights. More expensive but worth it in the long run.

barbra
11/06/2007, 11:56 AM
Why that lighting for fish only? Lots more money and heat than is needed.

kydsexy
11/06/2007, 12:10 PM
agreed. m surprised no one has added in a skimmer. i don't use them but from what i hear they are an excellent addition to the sump.

meco65
11/06/2007, 02:39 PM
A RO/DI is a must even in a FO tank. So the water going in is a good as it can be. Myself I dont have one and I have a algae problem, I will be getting a RO/DI soon. I wish I would have waited to set the tank up till my budget would have allowed me to have one. Hind sight is 20/20.

chrisqueenz
11/06/2007, 03:03 PM
I agree with the sump very easy and a world of a difference visually and space-wise also..

bertoni
11/06/2007, 03:34 PM
[welcome]

What are the Eheim units?