PDA

View Full Version : Blue Hippo Help and clown species?

MBWhitmore
11/06/2007, 09:08 AM
ok i have a few more questions, by the way you guys are awesome.

1. why can i not keep a blue hippo alive i am batting 1 for 3 Are they really sensitive? i feed it lifeline, and also give them some romaine lettuce. i jost got 2 on sunday and one is doing the not moving much in the bottom the tank routine that ive seen before. all water tests are normal.

2. Can you tell me what kind of clown this is?

http://www.geocities.com/justatruck1983/DSC02421.jpg

BangkokMatt
11/06/2007, 09:37 AM
Your top clown is a a true percula (onyx).Its a beauty ! The bottom one looks like an oscellaris but hard to completely tell from the angle

BangkokMatt
11/06/2007, 09:40 AM
Are your tangs showing any physical symptons such as ich or HLLE.
They are sensitive fish.

MBWhitmore
11/06/2007, 10:12 AM
yea i want to find another but its been diffucult to find.

the tangs are not as bright as they were when i brought them home. my tank is 8 weeks new. everything else seems to have no problems.

chem-e
11/06/2007, 11:29 AM
There could be a number of factors affecting the tang, such as the tang being sick coming in or your water parameters not being stable since it's still a new tank.

Also, I'm not sure if romaine lettuce would be the best choice of food for them, but I know a lot of people use nori. I've used nori and sometimes I soak it in garlic extract if I notice any ich.

cmejaf30
11/06/2007, 11:41 AM
hippos are called the "Queens of Ich" and other diseases. They are very very sensative and require a great amount of care and precision when introducing them into a system. They should be one of the last if not the last addition to a tank as they are territorial and any added stress over territory can just add to the problems. In my experience (not a lot, but some) and through a lot of talking/research a good hypo treatment upon purchase is a good start to helping them acclimate to their new home. I'm not one for using copper just because I don't really feel like introducing toxins to my fish. I know if controlled copper is a good therapy but it requires a lot of precision and too much can kill your fish and not enough is a waste of time. JMO...my 2 cents.

PS your clowns look great...the top one does look like a true perc and so does the bottom. The best way to tell is to see if there is a thin black stripe between the white and orange coloring on their body. If there is then it is most likely a true percula. If not most likely oscillaris (fake percula). The bottom one looks smaller. Were they a mated pair? If so, the bottom one (if smaller) is the male and the larger one is the female.

MBWhitmore
11/06/2007, 11:56 AM
the LFS that i got the true percula said it was a black percula and i argured with him, but i wanted it anyways. What are they worth? I think i got took, but oh well. I had a pair of oscillaris when i introduced him and the bigger of the two didnt get along with him. I had to remove the bigger one.

kydsexy
11/06/2007, 12:04 PM
haha i love the"just started to take it seriously in the last three months" no comes the hard part. good luck tho.

i would agree, and have your tank stable a bit more before adding another dori. i love the onyx clown, she's gorgeous.

i'd also say that up to $35 is a good deal depending on the area you live. the usual price is see at my lfs are about $28