PDA

View Full Version : slimey live rock

bosmith27330
11/05/2007, 09:43 PM
i have what looks like snotty seaweed growing on my live rock lfs told me to take out balls and put this stuff called chemi pure in well i did and put the bag on the tray where the water flows down to the balls could not figure out anywhere else to put them where the bag would be flat like the directions say

demonsp
11/05/2007, 09:47 PM
Never add any addtive that you truly dont need. Ok
You have this rock in your tank and its fully cured ?

bosmith27330
11/05/2007, 09:52 PM
yes tank has been up for almost a year now all that is in it is a clown fish and about 80 lbs of rock

demonsp
11/05/2007, 09:55 PM
Sounds like green hair alge. And many reasons or mutiple reasons from flow to water source to uncleaned media.

Any of these areas your not sure about ?

bosmith27330
11/05/2007, 09:58 PM
the flow seems to be good i took the half the balls out and cleand the pump and the sponge filter all this is in a oceanic 29 cube if that helps any

bosmith27330
11/05/2007, 10:02 PM
also put a blanket over the tank and turned off all lights

demonsp
11/05/2007, 10:06 PM
If tank is 2 yrs old then lights or blanket wont help.
Whats the water readings?
Do you use unfiltered tap water?
How big is your nano ?
How many powerheads?
Do you clean the bio balls and other media weekly?
Do you do weekly or bi weely water changes?

nynex
11/10/2007, 06:37 PM
bosmith27330 if you have been in this 2 years...

I would like to think you would know how to figure out a simple green hair algea
problem. You didnt post any water params... First off, Bio Balls need to go and stay
out. Bio Balls are nothing but a Nitrate factory. Also Chemi Pure is ok..but Seachem
Purigen in much much better.

You need to test your water and see where you are at first. There is a million reasons
why you could be getting hair algea. A way to get a handle on it to start is to add
some Turbo snails...and maybe a few scarlet hermit crabs. They will make short work
of the green hair algae.

But to truly get a handle on why you have it...you need to figure things out. Water
params, water flow, lighting schedule, and Over Feeding. ..ect... I would suggest
cutting back on how much you feed. One tiny bit of food (dead organic compound)
will fuel your algae like you wouldnt believe. Make sure there is no un eaten food in
your tank after feeding.

Emg2
11/10/2007, 07:36 PM
Umm....I believe he said it has been up for almost "A" year....not two years....:p

BoSmith....do you have a skimmer on your tank ? I have a 29 as well, with 2 perculas and a six line wrasse. When I do water changes I use a motor from off of an intank filter to blow through and around the rocks to chase out the crud that builds up in there. I toss some filter pads in the 2 HOBs I have while I'm cleaning the tank. I take them out after the dust settles...rinse them off and set them aside for the next change. I don't have any media in the HOBs.....they're aquaclear 70s, one is setup as a refugium with macro and rubble in it.

I have a bit of hair algae, just along the back wall. I used to have some on the rocks but after awhile it melted off. I tossed in a turbo snail and that does a decent job keeping what grows on the back wall to a manageable level.

BTW...I do water changes weekly, replacing about a 3rd of the water with clean fresh. This system seems to keep things tidy in there for the most part. My tank has been setup for about a year as well.

nynex
11/11/2007, 05:12 PM
Emg2

Right under his post it says: Hobby Experience: 2yrs saltwater nano reef

I agree...turbo snails work well..so do scarlet hermits. I also do weekly water
changes too.

Acillaton
11/11/2007, 05:35 PM
Cleanup crew. Do not use chemicals and ger rid of bioballs. Good luck. http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=520

nynex
11/11/2007, 05:45 PM
I already said that...lol