PDA

View Full Version : octopus question

MRICKEN1012
11/05/2007, 08:00 PM
What is the best octo to keep, and why? Whats the best thing to feed them? Does it have to be live or will they eat frozen? How often do you feed them? Any special lighting needed? Any other special needs besides the normal saltwater setup ?

I know there is a forum for this but its easier to get answers here

coast2coast7390
11/05/2007, 08:23 PM
none are good to keep...very hard to take care of and they only live for a couple of years

MRICKEN1012
11/05/2007, 08:35 PM
Yes I do know that

rgulrich
11/05/2007, 08:50 PM
They are escape "artists", very intelligent, and too many get too large for a casual aquarium owner to care for. Depending on the octopus, they eat crustaceans and fish, with each having their favorite. I have fed them live, thawed, and dried/soaked foods. Filtration is critical; when they get startled they will ink and if it is not removed immediately and thoroughly, it will kill them (and anything else) in a closed system.

As the previous poster noted, they have a short life span.
Again, not an endeavor to be taken lightly, and I would encourage you to start out in this SW realm with something a little more manageable and easier to care for.

If you are set on pursuing the care and upkeep of an octopus, hit the library, buy some books, and do a lot of research beyond asking the casual questions on an online forum. Like many things in this hobby/passion, you will be spending a lot of time and effort on the front end if you want to be able to keep one alive and well for its time in your keeping.

Cheers,
Ray

jasonak
11/05/2007, 10:12 PM
Hi
heres a link that should help you out

http://www.tonmo.com/