PDA

View Full Version : Newb with a 20L

ecal468
11/05/2007, 04:50 PM
First let me start off by saying that this an awesome forum! I have been able to learn so much just by reading all of the previous posts and stickies.

Now onto the meat and potatoes.

I have a 20 Long that I will shortly be setting up. I would like to eventually grow a variety of corals as well as have a few small fish. I am trying to follow Lpabsolute's build:
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1050273&perpage=25&pagenumber=1
but I do not have a hood, so I was thinking about using this light fixture here:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3733+12109&pcatid=12109

I plan on putting a 65 watt actinic, and a 65 watt 10,000K. This seems good, right? Also, what is a 50/50 type of light?

Does this fixture sit directly on top of the tank, or does is have legs?

Thanks, and any suggestions are very welcome!

orbit
11/05/2007, 05:16 PM
well since u said that u would like to keep corals, i suggest MH lights, they are expensive but it will be worth it. u can get kits at hello lighting for about 130

i just started my 20L as well and have MH lights and i love em, if u get 14K bulbs u probably dont need actinic lights

reefergeorge
11/05/2007, 05:26 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11122289#post11122289 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ecal468

I plan on putting a 65 watt actinic, and a 65 watt 10,000K. This seems good, right? Also, what is a 50/50 type of light?

I would use to 50/50. They have one tubes of the pc that is actinic, and the other is 10k I believe.

a2fire2i
11/05/2007, 05:43 PM
I had the same light over my 20. It was fine for sofites, some LPS, and a FEW SPS. What type of corals are you planning on keeping? If you are looking to keep any SPS, i would go with T5s or MHs as suggested.

You can order legs to go along with the light.

msn711
11/05/2007, 05:48 PM
That light will be fine for anything you should be keeping as a beginner (i.e. softies/lps corals). Personally, I prefer current usa products to coralife. Coralife products just never seem to last in my experience. They're just not good quality. Good luck with your tank and post pictures when you can.

ecal468
11/05/2007, 06:24 PM
Thanks for the quick responses! I am having a hard time finding information about MHs. If I do not have a hood, how would position them above the tank?

If possible can you post a link to some other recommended lighting fixtures and lights? It is a bit hard to navigate the sites as a beginner. Thanks!

And I will be posting pics and updates as they come!

msn711
11/06/2007, 10:58 AM
Without a hood, you have two options for MH's: hang them from the ceiling using pendants OR just get a fixture that sits on the tank. I won't risk hanging lights from the ceiling in my apartment, so I have the current usa outer orbit. It comes with legs and just sits on the tank, much like the PC fixture you were looking at above.

sprinj76
11/06/2007, 11:46 AM
I have a Current USA dual bulb PC fixture over my 20L and love it.

I would also recommend Current USA over Coralife too:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3733+9654+13637&pcatid=13637

Light is very very similar but cheaper and better IMO. The Current USA fixure comes with legs and it sits 2.25 inches above the aquarium.

LPabsolute's build is a great one to follow. If you need more ideas click on my red house, it will take you to my 20L build which isnt even close to finished.

kydsexy
11/06/2007, 11:57 AM
hey ecal and welcome,

you should look around and see what variety of "corals" you want. check into that, you'll probably fall in love with a few types, then adjust ur lighting to them.

have you thought about what kind of fish you'd like? gobies, dwarf lions, clownfish? make sure you plan it all out before you jump right in. good luck!

ecal468
11/06/2007, 06:21 PM
Wow! I can't believe I missed the Current USA Dual Bulb fixture! Thanks sprinj76!

I see that there are many different light bulbs for it. What is the difference between Actinic 460nm and Actinic 420nm?

I was thinking one bulb being SunPaq Daylight 1000K and the other SunPaq Actinic 460 or 420 once I know the difference. How does that sound?

As for stock I was thinking some type of clown fish, some type of cool goby(yellow watchman), and maybe a blenny because they look awesome! Suggestions?

As for corals I have no idea yet, but will start looking.

Thanks.

sprinj76
11/06/2007, 07:21 PM
Do you want to get different bulbs for the fixture? The Current USA fixture comes with one 6700/10000 daylight bulb and one 420/460 Dual antinic bulb.

If I remember correctly: 420 nm is purple (shorter wave length closer to UV light) and 460 nm is blue (longer wave length further from UV).

If I could recommend a fish it would be the tailspot blenny. I just got one about 4 days ago and it has been a great addition to my tank.

Ryanqk
11/06/2007, 11:47 PM
Hey Eric,
MH (Metal Halides) are great for people who can afford them and have lots of long term experience in them. Since I personally know you, for your application I urge you to stick with PC or VHO lights, Just until you become accustomed to reefkeeping in general I believe that that type of lighting will help you become acclimated to coral keeping. Once you have decided reefkeeping is for you, you can choose to upgrade to a more permanant system. As far as anenomefish go, They are generally hardy, and do not require an anenome actually. Once your tank has cycled for a few months then try a BTA (Bubble Tip Anenome) they are great under a non-MH system and as long as you keep them away from the intakes of pumps they will be fine. There is more advice I have on fish, I'll tell you more on saturday.
Ryan

ecal468
11/08/2007, 05:53 PM
sprinj76- I didn't realize they came with bulbs already! I will definitely look into the tail spot blenny. Thanks.

Ryanqk- I think I'm going to go with the PC lights. I'll talk to you more about this on Saturday, because I realized I am going to have a problem keeping the tank cool(below 83) during the day.

Ryanqk
11/17/2007, 02:43 PM
Eric, you can use a combination of a icecap style fan in the canopy, or use a fan blowing across the top to reduce the heat, I also find that keeping my AC on a cooler setting is a cheaper option than running a chiller. There are several ways to deal with the heat.
Ryan