PDA

View Full Version : Circulation from powerheads

tothe kids
11/05/2007, 01:46 PM
Hello All,

I have a 125 with a 30g sump & fuge with HOB overflow box (single utube). I have been battling an algae problem and believe it to be from my lack of flow. Currently I have two pumps one Rio 2100 and another generic can’t get name right now but I remember it was comparable in size to the Rio. These are connected from my sump via T and run about 4 ft up to a Utube type return. I’m using ¾ rubber hose to up to the plastic utube that then points straight down into the display. As far as display circulation I have 3 powerheads. One off brand putting out about 350 gph, a Maxijet 1200, and a Maxijet 900. The 350 gph is angled toward the front with a little diagonal flow pointing toward the opposite side of tank. The maxijet is in the opposite corner pointing towards the front but angled down a little at the sand and the Maxijet 1200 is dead center in the middle of the tank pointing straight out at the front glass. I don’t think this is getting me enough random flow or flow in general. I am very limited on where I can place my corals (Xenia, Anthelia, Kenya) because they are getting blown away. Some of the pom pom coral almost sits horizontal due to flow even thought the powerhead stream is bouncing off the glass. I was looking at getting 3 Koralia # 3’s but wanted to get some thoughts first on my current set up. I am very limited on funds so purchasing 3 Koralia’s would be tough. I’m not sure I understand the circulation benefits other than higher gph. Sorry for the long write up just wanted to try and be as accurate as possible.

I guess questions would be

1. Do I have enough flow from sump?
2. Do I have enough flow in display from powereheads?
3. Are the Koralia’s worth the money vs. what I could do with my current pumps
4. What specialized circulation benefits do Koralia’s offer?

joesfiddy
11/05/2007, 04:29 PM
i have a koralia 2 and 3 and i have them in a 55 gallon and the 2 is great for it and the 3 is just to much so im taking it out