PDA

View Full Version : How to clean acrylic tanks on the inside?

albatross666
11/05/2007, 09:41 AM
Hi

I have a fairly new tank, maybe 2 months now, and the tank is acrylic.

I have a few areas where the green spot diatom like algae is growing and brown spots as well. I want to know how to "Scrape" these guys off without scratching the acrylic?

Do the Mag-Float for acrylic really work? I have one for my HOB fuge, but am really scared to use it in my main tank.

How do experienced RC users handle dirty acrylic? Please advise.

Thanks!

kydsexy
11/05/2007, 10:19 AM
mag float is fine

albatross666
11/05/2007, 10:26 AM
Great!

I have the small one. Here is another question.

If I have aptisia in my fuge, can i use the same mag-float that I use in the fuge or should I get a new one?

Thanks

pikachusalad
11/05/2007, 10:54 AM
The important thing is getting OTHER stuff between your scraper and the acrylic. If you get a piece of sand or gravel stuck between, doesn't matter what your scraper is made of, it will scratch.

Also, if you get one of the plastic scraper things to scrape off the stuff the mag-float won't touch... It is easy to become frustrated and push really hard and go back-and-forth really fast...

Couple things can happen there - get a chunk of coralline stuck between the scraper and acrylic - it will scratch. OR, if you don't keep the plastic blade flat - and do something like put all the pressure on one of the corners - it will scratch.

So...keep the mag-float clean. and with a scraper, keep the blade flat with even pressure, go one direction, pull away from the acrylic at the end of your stroke (to rinse away partciles) and most important - be patient.

jamiep
11/05/2007, 11:27 AM
aptisia can get from your fuge to tank anyway, without you doing anything but leaving your pump on