PDA

View Full Version : raising alk

theJMGproject
11/04/2007, 07:43 PM
My alkalinity levels are low. What is the best way to bump it up? I know I need to get the levels up slowly, so should I up the dose a bit on my measuring cup?

Thanks in advance,

Garett

funman1
11/04/2007, 07:53 PM
Make some two part (or one really)
and then just add some everyday..
I safely raise my alk 1 DKH per day..

cwolfus
11/04/2007, 09:12 PM
Try this calculator...

http://twopartsolution.com/calculator/tps_calculator.html

C

revenant
11/04/2007, 09:30 PM
I was doing 2 part every other day and my alk was always low, so I used Kent SuperBuffer DKH to raise it.. worked well and without making the pH spike too much, which was nice... I continue to use the 2-part (B-Ionic) to maintain the Alk and Ca++ levels.. I think it's best to not depend on the 2 part to get the alk up, but rather to maintain it. ymmv though (as reported above, the 2 part works to raise the alk for some)

dots
11/05/2007, 11:21 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11117689#post11117689 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by revenant
I was doing 2 part every other day and my alk was always low, so I used Kent SuperBuffer DKH to raise it.. worked well and without making the pH spike too much, which was nice... I continue to use the 2-part (B-Ionic) to maintain the Alk and Ca++ levels.. I think it's best to not depend on the 2 part to get the alk up, but rather to maintain it. ymmv though (as reported above, the 2 part works to raise the alk for some)

Huh?

I think your a little mixed up or thought one and typed the other.

You really don't want to use the powdered buffers because they are concentrated and easy to overdose. In fact, if you use a quality salt like Reef Crystals, it comes out of the bag with close to optimal alk and Ca, well at least within the ball park. In fact, due to daily uptake and WC schedules some can rely on this method solely. Once you step up and have large Alk and Ca consumption from the addition of calcareous livestock, you daily demand will increase and you will have to supplement it. Two part replaces the "2 parts"(Alk and Ca plus trace elements) in an ionicly balanced ratio so that you levels are replaced daily, or continously if you have a doser.

If you dose only the buffer, your alk will be replaced but the Ca will be depleted causing an out of balance.

Two part systems are in volumes diluted for us to use comfortably and accuratly to avoid those accidental over doses with the buffer.

If yours was always low, you were not dosing enough. Thats a good thing, it means stuff is growing.

HIH

theJMGproject
11/05/2007, 11:43 PM
I'll be doing a 35% water change this week, and after that test again. Hopefully the WC will balance the alk and I can continue daily doising of b-ionic 2-part. I have added more SPS corals over the last 3 months.....so i do hope the reason of my low alk level is becuase they are growing =)

Alexis
11/05/2007, 11:47 PM
you can also drip kalk in addition to the above methods

dots
11/06/2007, 02:32 AM
You really don't need to do a large WC just for that alone.

The cool thing about two part is that you can out of balance dose it to correct an imbalance.

When dosing by hand I followed this routine, and I was able to hold by dkh stable. Ahhh, the days when I had faith in alk test kits.

Everyday at the same time I would top off the water and wait about 10 minutes and test the alk. Taking into account how much I dropped that day, I dosed that much of the two part. Over time, given your need you will know how much it takes to raise it to your desired level. I tested Ca montly after WCs and called it good.

If an out of balance occured, I adjusted the ratio. May work for you as well.

FWIW, I got busy in April-May and ignored testing and what not, and lost a ton of LE SPS due to an alk creep. Because of that, I was plagued all summer with problems, but that is where it started. Test often, test daily.

stubbsz
11/06/2007, 12:14 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11125905#post11125905 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dots
Ahhh, the days when I had faith in alk test kits.
Test often, test daily.

I'm confused. Maybe i cut to much from your post. Why would you test daily if you had no faith in the Alk Test kits.

I'm having alk/ca problems (i think :) ) and I'm testing fairly regularly but if I don't believe my La Motte test result (and i'm a little worried I have to admit) what is the point?

-Adrian

Kinetic
11/06/2007, 01:19 PM
My ALK is way low, Ca down to 400ppm. I started using BIONIC yesterday to try to bring them up by dosing daily. Starting with 10ml a day in my 40g breeder frag tank. I'll measure it daily until I can get it back to the correct levels.

I also switched from Harbor Bay NSW to Reef Crystals and my Typhoon III RO/DI. The ALK and Ca are way lower in my tank than a freshy mixed Reef Crystals batch.

I hope bionic will do the trick =X

dots
11/07/2007, 03:12 AM
I was being sarcastic about Salifert and that they have been having a lot of problems with thier test kits. It was supposed to be just an isolated batch problem, but had bought one the other day that read a full 2dkh higher than the Elos. The kit before was dead on with the Elos.

My point was to cry, whine, and complain. It makes me mad that those kits are so expensive yet suck so much lately. I am glad you do not feel my pain and could not relate to my original comment. Its rough being me......

Kinetic: Are you doing a 100% WC? If not, the level that it is raised will be proportional to the amount you do change. I am sure it will do the trick for you.