PDA

View Full Version : Strange smell.. need help!

UTTAngel
11/04/2007, 06:22 PM
Ok, so I have had my tank up for several months now, it's a 29g fish-only tank. I just moved this weekend and did a large water change in the process.. But now there is a very musky smell coming from the tank... All levels are normal and my fish are doing fine. I've had the tank back up and running for about 3 days now and the smell is still pretty strong... any suggestions?

jar05g
11/04/2007, 06:35 PM
Have you added any new live rock?

UTTAngel
11/04/2007, 06:40 PM
nope it's all fish, snails crabs and a starfish :/

Sk8r
11/04/2007, 06:46 PM
is there water dripping somewhere onto the tank surroundings that could be creating mold? It's good about running to the low point of a line. Test for wet carpet. Also, if confined, the evap rate can cause moisture in the surrounds. You may need to ventilate: you're in the south, and if you have a moisture problem in the area, that could be an issue.

UTTAngel
11/04/2007, 07:26 PM
There aren't any leaks or anything like that, I only moved about 15 miles from where I was and I first noticed the smell when I drained the tank... I've been leaving the windows in this room open for the last few days and the fan going but it doesn't seem to be helping any.. I had quite a bit of brown algae for a little while but I cleaned all the decor when I moved.. I thought maybe that was the problem but it still smells pretty bad :( any other suggestions?

keith1974
11/04/2007, 08:12 PM
a snail might of died and u dont know it might make it stink

xian
11/04/2007, 10:17 PM
All salt water tanks do have a slight "beach" odor but it shouldn't be overpowering.

Playa-1
11/04/2007, 11:52 PM
Well hopefully it's not the dreaded sulfer smell.
Have you checked for and old dirty sock on your return pump or skimmer intake?