PDA

View Full Version : Ro/di

jar05g
11/04/2007, 05:03 PM
So for water changes...I've read that it's best to use RO/DI water. I know that RO stands for reverse osmosis, but what does DI stand for? I bought a 2.5 gallon jug of drinking water from wal-mart. If you're familiar with it, it's just the wal-mart brand green label drinking water and on the label it says "Processed by: Reverse Osmosis, Micron Filtration, Ozonization, Ultraviolet Light." Is this any good?

clevername2000
11/04/2007, 05:12 PM
you would have to test it. To behonest filtered drinking water is never the best. Usually bottled/filtered water have very high sediment.

In fact most true drinking filter systems have a carbon filter as the last step JUST to add taste (aka additional sediment)

DI= De-ionizion (probably spelled wrong)

If you dont have room and cant afford the initial investment; then buy your water from your LFS. Even then, i have tested a couple of local fish stores water and it was terrible.

jar05g
11/04/2007, 05:16 PM
Yes...being in college with the small rooms and even smaller salary, I wouldn't be able to afford whatever it was that I would need. My LFS does sell RO water for $.50 a gallon. By the way, how exactly would you test the drinking water? What do you test it for?

jackfrost
11/04/2007, 07:36 PM
Then you shouldn't be keeping a reef aquarium.

People like you only stand to jeopordize the lives of fish and animals.

I understand your interest and and passion to keep a reef aquarium, but lets face it. You cant afoard it, to do it right !

College and high school kids, without six figure plus daddy and mommy sallaries to keep it going = FORGET IT !!!

Get a fresh water tropical fish tank aquarium with some plants and you will save evryone greif.

I am sorry of I sound harsh, but this board is littered by people who either do not have enough cash or time to keep a demanding reef or marine tank going.

Lets face face it. This is not a cheep version of the hobby.

Reef = $$$$$$

blakesreefbruz
11/04/2007, 07:51 PM
yeh you do sound harsh. jeez settle down.

im sure with more research and with a smaller tank he can keep a nice cheap reef tank. It doesnt need to be over the top expensive.

who woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning?

jackfrost
11/04/2007, 08:07 PM
Its the truth and its hurts !

You and evryone else knows that I am right.

I am sick to my stomach of all these people killing these animals when they do not have the knowledge or the financial means to support a tank.

Then like everything else, that does not provide them with "instant gratification" they dump it, go on to the next thing.

Its up to us the more senior and serious hobbiest to start setting some "minimum standards". The more we encourage this type of behaviour, the worst the damage gets.

Think of the animals for an instant and tell me I am wrong....:(

zma21
11/04/2007, 08:14 PM
Get over yourself jackfrost, you're not one to critisize other's situations.

zma21
11/04/2007, 08:16 PM
Oh and Jar, the water you are getting will probably be ok. Don't let grumpy old men get you down.

jackfrost
11/04/2007, 08:19 PM
Sorry...another "student"

zma21
11/04/2007, 08:22 PM
For being a more "senior" member, you aren't very mature.

jackfrost
11/04/2007, 08:41 PM
Excuse me Mr "Grumpy old men".

Yes ...I am supose to accept that and think I need to listen to a 12 year old calling me "mature" HA HA HA !!!

You are a riot son !

Show some respect and learn something kid.

But then again,...you know everything...right !

Reef keepers...right !

cd77
11/04/2007, 08:42 PM
Many Wal-Marts also sell RO/DI water, so it's worth asking about. While I agree that using RO (or better yet, RO/DI water) is best for keeping a marine tank, I disagree with the other negative comments made. For a 29 gallon tank, if you can obtain 10-15 gallons of RO/DI a month, I think you'll be ok (especially if you can keep the tank covered) with both water changes and evaporation top-off -- Even from your LFS, you're only looking at about $2 / week.

zma21
11/04/2007, 08:45 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11117342#post11117342 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jackfrost
Excuse me Mr "Grumpy old men".

Yes ...I am supose to accept that and think I need to listen to a 12 year old calling me "mature" HA HA HA !!!

You are a riot son !

Show some respect and learn something kid.

But then again,...you know everything...right !

Reef keepers...right !

I'm a 27 year old in Orthodontistery school. Go take your medicine, pops. You need to understand that there is no 'right' way in this hobby. Different things work for different people. Being an *** works for you, but not for others.

Andeeznano
11/04/2007, 08:51 PM
exactly how much does this hobby cost anyway?

saying that since he can't afford to do it "RIGHT" he should just give up is just plain WRONG.

jar is asking questions, which is more than most do.

just ask your questions, do your research and do as much as you CAN afford...

oh and have fun :)

cd77
11/04/2007, 08:52 PM
This thread is no longer helping the OP -- I suggest it be closed.

beerguy
11/04/2007, 08:55 PM
This is a beginners forum. Conversations like this really have no place anywhere on this board.

Closed

DgenR8
11/11/2007, 08:09 AM
Good thing I was late to this party. As I read the above posts, I couldn't decide who to ban first. Consider yourselves lucky that you caught Beerguy on a good day, I'd have definitely taken a different approach.