PDA

View Full Version : rapid breathing question

joeyt66
11/04/2007, 03:32 PM
I have a Naso that has been in my tank for 2 yrs and has been breathing fast for the last 6 months (roughly) the other fish are not doing it. Water parms are regular. The only thing i can think of is 6 months ago i had a bad case of ick that wiped out my tank,(all but the naso ) I quartined for 5 weeks and treated him in the hospital tank. Could this be the effects? He eats well( and is fat) could it be because hes to fat and out of breathe.He's active and doesn't seem too bothered by it. Any idea's?

Sk8r
11/04/2007, 03:39 PM
Oxygenation. YOu have a big tank, big sump, but I'm not seeing info on the skimmer and not seeing anything about a refugium. My 54 uses an EV 120 [120g] skimmer, and just keeps up with it. I'd recommend a 20g refugium, lots of cheato, 24 hr light.
Tangs react first to low oxygen, and gasping is symptomatic of that, and I believe Nasos, a high velocity swimmer, have a higher demand than the yellows. Gill disease is possible, gill scarring is possible, but because it's a tang of some age, I'm suspecting oxygen insufficiency, either for his size or for the condition of his gills, if not both. You've got some big fish in there. The demand for oxygen is going to be fierce. Up your skimmer size to 2x your gallonage or more; and get some cheato going, would be my recommendation.

black_majik
11/04/2007, 03:39 PM
Ich in the gill area is likely, do you have a lot of flow in your tank because tangs need that surge of water through their gills once in awhile. Probably gill damage from the Ick

joeyt66
11/04/2007, 03:48 PM
sorry unfinished signature

CSS 220
75 gallon sump divided into 3 chambers equally so about a 25 g refuge with cheato

Also have an aqua clear 500 hanging on the back

Sk8r
11/04/2007, 06:51 PM
Good for that...on the oxygen. You may have a naso with damaged gills, in which case you may need to make a hard choice to sell on one of the other large fish to get more oxygen into the water.
And there's no guarantee it would work.
But if it were an ongoing ich attack, it should have killed him by now: they don't usually hang on that long. So I'm betting on scarring.