PDA

View Full Version : lights and cycling?

~SIRENA~
11/04/2007, 02:55 PM
When cycling a new tank, what is the best schedule for turning on lights- if any?

I have LR , 1 400MH and 2 actnics...

jvr1102
11/04/2007, 03:14 PM
I was told 12 hours on 12 hours off.

jar05g
11/04/2007, 05:13 PM
I am in your situation and once your tank hits the "Hight Nitrates" phase, you will most likely start to see a nasty brown algae all over your sand. If you have an upgraded light, you should ween your tank onto it...say...maybe just leave it on for about 6 hours a day until your tank finishes cycling. If you have just a standard light then the 12 on 12 off theory is fine.

uscharalph
11/04/2007, 05:59 PM
The more light the more algae bloom.

Sk8r
11/04/2007, 06:09 PM
Doesn't matter too much: it will happen. But chemical reactions including life happen faster in warmth, and your lights will contribute that.

What this is, during your wait for life, is an opportunity to (1) learn to use your test kits [alk [Salifert is good], ph [use a meter], salinity [hope you have a refractometer], temp stability [can you, with lights on schedule, make it stay within 1-2 degrees, day to night? (2) set up your quarantine tank: you CAN have fish: just start them in qt and watch all those tests for them: no nitrate, no ammonia, proper temp, just a barren bare cheap thin glass tank, no decor, just observe your fish and test A LOT in all those parameters and keep a log. That way you'll have them eating and know they're healthy before you put them into your tank. If they do break out in ich, you can treat them and have them well again in time to put them in.

Caution: do NOT dump fish into a raw new tank: after the cycle will come algae. You'll want to buy inverts at that point, acclimate them with great care [they're sensitive], and let them eat the algae before you put fish in. So your fish may spent quite a few weeks in qt before you can put the whole thing together. You'll be learning all the way. Just trying to keep your salt balance is going to be an entertainment: hint: look up autotopoff and ro/di water...which I hope you started with! Not using it means a particularly bad algae growth. Use it hereafter.
Best of luck to you---starting a new tank is a lot of fun---honestly!

xian
11/04/2007, 07:13 PM
Some people suggest "babying" your Live rock during cycling. Much of the "life" on the rocks is lost during the cycle. If you skim heavily and provide light you have a better chance of preserving some diversity.

~SIRENA~
11/04/2007, 07:13 PM
Thanks, I have no livestock yet. Will not get any until my parameters are where they should be, and then I will put them in qt. I just have one question, the autotopoff is this for premixed salt water or just ro/di water?
btw: I do have a 6 stage ro/di system that I've been using - no tap water - I have the flooded laundry room and a busted breaker to prove it. oops :)

~SIRENA~
11/04/2007, 07:16 PM
Oh yeah,
I just tested the water- tank is 5 days old

Amonia 0.2
ph 8.0
Nitrate 10
Nitrite .8
Alkalinity 2.0

comments welcome

xian
11/04/2007, 07:18 PM
Auto top off is just ro/di it replaces evapotation in order to keep your salinity stable.

xian
11/04/2007, 07:22 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11116786#post11116786 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by clamgal
Oh yeah,
I just tested the water- tank is 5 days old

Amonia 0.2
ph 8.0
Nitrate 10
Nitrite .8
Alkalinity 2.0

comments welcome

Wow, what is in there?

I recently cycled a tank with my students and we were barely able to observe a cycle. When that ammonia level hits zero, do a water change.

FYI you should include a unit for alkalinity most people use German Hardness units (dKH) (7-9dKH is considered best) I'm guessing that your measurement is in meq/L

~SIRENA~
11/04/2007, 08:26 PM
Are those parameters way off? Yes, it is in meq/L All I have is 65lbs of live rock. 20 of it was completely cured the rest was precured. I do have some athenia and halmedia that came attached to the cured rock. Here are some pics:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/169862...57602911285285/

~SIRENA~
11/04/2007, 08:28 PM
oops wrong link:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16986262@N05/sets/72157602911285285/

xian
11/04/2007, 09:55 PM
No, not "way" off just more than I expected. With "cured" live rock I wouldn't expect that much nitrate so soon.

Keeping that halimedia and anthelia alive (if you want them) is another good reason to pamper the rock as I said. You may want to do that water change sooner to keep the ammonia from spiking too much.