PDA

View Full Version : when to set up refugium

whosinpower
11/04/2007, 01:44 PM
Yet another newbie question for those experts out there.

The system that I set up has a section in the sump for a refugium. To date, I have not set it up and only have a couple of small pieces of liverock in it.

My tank has been running just over one month, has completed its cycle, and currently has 2 clownfish, 1 emerald crab, 15 snails and 5 coral frags.

I am planning on setting up the refugium with a light and cheato, but have not done this yet, as I was waiting for cycle to complete first. This is now over, and my water parameters seem to be pretty good -

salinity - 1.025
temp 78 degrees
ammonia - 0
nitrite - 0
nitrate - .2 ppm ?(looks 0 looking down, but on side of vial, it lightly, barely shows up on the 2 section on a salifert test kit)

I am assuming nitrate is low (not zero, but way way WAY lower than it had been during the cycle!), because the algae that is growing in the tank is taking up the nitrates.

I have some algae growing - of several different varieties - and thus far, the snails are doing a good job of eating it down so far. It has not dissappeared, but daily, I am seeing a reduction in the amount of greenery. Had some growing on the back of tank - gone now, had some growing on the sand - gone now, have some still on the rocks, but is being reduced day by day)

So.....the question is when should I set up the refugium? Do I leave it for awhile, or should I set it up now? Should I wait until my bioload is higher, or should I do it now?

Oh, my skimmer is a tunze 9010 and I skim wet and have been having to clean cup every day between 300-400 ml/day tea coloured skimmate.

cd77
11/04/2007, 02:13 PM
I'm certainly no expert, but from my own experience setting up a fuge sooner than you, I see no reason at all why you can't setup a fuge right now. A little nitrate, some light, and some flow should keep your macro doing well and help export nutrients -- hopefully helping with your algae too. You're right in that with microalgae (or diatoms) consuming nitrates, you can't get an accurate measurement.

Sk8r
11/04/2007, 02:23 PM
Now's a good time. Add some sand [I take it there's a barrier to prevent sand getting into your return pump]. I'd add 1 thin layer of sand every week until you have 3". This will avoid problems including a minicycle. Get a big ball of cheato, and a HighOutput PC light about 13w will do well, just turn it on: and that's it. You have a functioning fuge. As your sand gets deeper, it will get better, up to 3". Your cheato will supply pods for your fish [and they eat algae] and will supply considerable extra oxygen to your tank, besides acting as a filter sock and snagging particulates which will fall to the sand and become digested.

SuperNerd
11/05/2007, 09:50 AM
I would set up the fuge as soon as you can. There are going to be things in the main tank that may not survive browsing by animals in the main tank yet survive in a fuge.

OT: Not an expert and if you already know then please don't take offense, but you also may need to monitor calcium, alkalinity, magnesium and light bulb life as well if you want to keep the corals and snails.