PDA

View Full Version : must-see video: what your fish are really like in the wild: only works in the daytime

Sk8r
11/04/2007, 01:36 PM
There no substitute for seeing what the fish you're keeping grow up into, what their swimming is like in the wild, and how they behave when no one's looking. This link is an undersea cam. You'll see most frequently angels, the occasional tang, a trumpetfish, some hogfish, wrasses, a cowfish, occasional damsels, and I once caught something I think might have been a squid. Set the link to 2 second refresh if you've got the bandwidth...

Allegedly someone caught skinny-dippers on this link: that rumor is unconfirmed here. ;)

But look and learn.

http://www.breathebonaire.com/index.php

reefergeorge
11/04/2007, 01:44 PM
Thanks for sharing!

dbuesking
11/04/2007, 01:48 PM
Nice Place

Sk8r
11/04/2007, 02:15 PM
I'm relieved...;) I just saw the squirrelfish. [Little red guy with big eyes]. Hadn't seen him since the hurricane. [and you want to talk about dark for days! that was interesting viewing, as the hurricane rolled right over the camera site.]

Mr. Squirrelfish used to live under the big coral knob at 5m. Now he seems to have relocated somewhat back of the camera, but there he was.

saltysteven
11/04/2007, 03:47 PM
that is cool i just dont understand the view. i see the sun coming through and i see what looks like the floor but the the camera fall ?

sasscuba
11/04/2007, 03:54 PM
Love Bonaire!! Favorite place to go scuba diving!

arts007
11/04/2007, 04:25 PM
very cool, put that one in my favorites. Interesting to see in the history how the temp changed over the 24hr period from 78F to 84F and back

Sk8r
11/04/2007, 04:55 PM
The camera is mounted on the edge of a dropoff, slightly angled up. They shift the Fstop through a cycle, which is why it goes bright then dim. You'll notice reef fish quite happily swim at angles that would mean swim bladder trouble in a freshwater fish, merrily going nearly straight up or down for the fun of it...a movement our tanks can't provide them.

THere've been some 'unusual' fish today: a puffer that can't leave the lens alone, always out of focus, and a cowfish that came in very close.

saltysteven
11/04/2007, 05:46 PM
okay so that is what i see - i thought so but wasnt sure. yea that site is really cool im waiting to see a fish up close!