PDA

View Full Version : Attaching LR together in an established tank?

kclauser
11/04/2007, 12:42 PM
I have a tank that is already up and running and I want to secure some of the LR together. I have been trying to epoxy it but the epoxy just dries without bonding to the rock. I got this at my LFS and its supposed to cure under water and all that but Im not having any luck with it. Is there stuff that actually works or are there any other ways I can do this? Its in a BioCube14 thats already running so I am working in a smaller space with smaller rocks, zipties wont work due to the way Im trying to attach the rocks together. Any other suggestions?

cd77
11/04/2007, 01:35 PM
The rocks won't stack? I've read about people drilling their rock and stabilizing stacks by inserting acrylic rods...

kclauser
11/04/2007, 02:12 PM
They stack but I am stacking them in purposely unstable positions for aesthetic purposes and they are too small to drill. Im mainly looking for an epoxy that actually works or at least a technique that does. I know it would help if the rocks were dry but this is all cured stuff with lots of corraline and its not worth it to let them dry out just to glue them together.

jvr1102
11/04/2007, 03:19 PM
DId you use Aquastik? I just did this with mine yesterday and was shocked how well it worked. Did you roll it around in your hand a few minutes before putting on yoru rock?

kclauser
11/04/2007, 03:33 PM
No Im using something else, sadly it only had the name on the packaging it came in and I threw it away but it is green with a white center that you mix. I will try Aquastik. Im looking around for a place to order some now. And yes I did thoroughly mix it before I tried to attach it to the rock, its just like as soon as it hits water it loses all its adhesiveness. It reminded me of gum when you freeze it..

Percula9
11/04/2007, 10:55 PM
The green with the white is called hold fast. It will glue corals to rock, not sure about rock to rock. Aquastick might work better.

xian
11/04/2007, 11:16 PM
I use aquamend for almost everything and it does dry up fast

Try this:

Get some super glue gel (loctite is one of the best) roll up the epoxy into a ball. Put a pea sized drop of gel on the ball. Dip it in the water so it skins over. Place it in a rough part of the rock and work the super glue into the rock. Repeat on the other side.

I hope thats not too confusing.

kclauser
11/04/2007, 11:39 PM
Ya its holdfast, thats what I was thinking but I just couldnt remember for sure.

xian, thanks for the tip I actually have that loctite super glue. Ill try that once my Aquastik comes in.

Demonic
11/04/2007, 11:41 PM
Just chiming in on what I did to my rocks. I drilled them with a 3/8 in masonry bit and inserted the carbon arrows that you can get at walmart for really cheap. Get some walking path square blocks and drill and insert the rods. Drill the rocks and insert into the arrows. Wala. I can send you some pics as I only have one side of the tank done. Waiting on some more rock. I have some leaning at about a 45 degree angle and its holding about 20lbs on the tower.