PDA

View Full Version : JBJ HQI Exploded last night

seapug
11/04/2007, 11:05 AM
Wow....I've owned 3 different JBJ Nano Cubes and heard of this happening, but always thought it was becaused of some mods or unlevel stand so assumed it would never happen to me....
but last night I'm sitting admiring the tank and BOOM! SPLASH! -- huge crack from top to bottom of right corner appears and water starts spilling out.

Talk about a HOLY POOP! moment...luckily my camera was sitting right next to me and I got a couple pics seconds after it happened. Needless to say, I was up until 3 am putting all the critters and rocks in in buckets and cleaning up the mess. I'm going to call the LFS today (authorized JBJ dealer) and sincerely hope they will give me a replacement and deal with JBJ on their end. I've got over $1000 of livestock on life support.

Please, anyone who has experienced this in the past, offer some advice and experiences in dealing with JBJ when this happens. If you haven't, be prepared for when it does and heed the advice to keep some extra buckets and tanks on hand for emergencies like this. I would have been seriously screwed if I didn't. I'm just glad I was home when it happened.

Anyway, here's a pic from seconds after it happened:

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee318/picklethepug/crack.jpg

Achapman
11/04/2007, 11:13 AM
That sucks man. I have the same tank. Hopefully it doesn't happen to me!

chuppy
11/04/2007, 11:19 AM
Ouch!!!! and all those beautiful clams are at stake! O.O I'l make them replace the whole lot if anything were to happen to those corals....clams...

seapug
11/04/2007, 11:24 AM
the clams are chillin in my 90 gal and the clowns and nems are in another emergency tank that I (thankfully) keep around. The yashia goby and pistol shrimp, zoas and other rocks are in a 5 gal bucket with a heater and powerhead. Everything seems to be okay, but still a huge pain. If I wouldn't have been at home when this happened it would have been a TOTAL disaster. Real shame because I was really happy with this tank....until this happened.

tanker
11/04/2007, 12:08 PM
Lucky you was home.

I always wanted one of those tanks for the office---But you have just made up my mind for me.

Sorry..

reefergeorge
11/04/2007, 01:09 PM
How can your tank break and your first response is to take a pic to put on RC? I would have been pacing around cursing for a few hours. I hope everything works out.

seapug
11/04/2007, 01:15 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11114859#post11114859 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reefergeorge
How can your tank break and your first response is to take a pic to put on RC? I would have been pacing around cursing for a few hours. I hope everything works out.

to quote myself:

"luckily my camera was sitting right next to me and I got a couple pics seconds after it happened. Needless to say, I was up until 3 am putting all the critters and rocks in in buckets and cleaning up the mess. "

The pics might be critical in getting a replacement-- and I didn't post the picture until 10am today....

Stormtrker
11/04/2007, 04:42 PM
Was your stand sitting on carpet?

clevername2000
11/04/2007, 05:23 PM
yeah, im interested in what the stand and floor look like. Unlevel? Warped?

seapug
11/04/2007, 05:59 PM
nope. JBJ stand on a concrete floor. I even used a carpenter's level when I set up the tank. The LFS was kind enough to give me a replacement and deal with JBJ on their end. Glad I bought it from a real retailer and not some ebay hack.

Setting it up now.

jackfrost
11/04/2007, 07:16 PM
I am sure this is a thermal problem with the glass / heat disapation on this tank.

funman1
11/04/2007, 07:42 PM
How old was this tank?

seapug
11/04/2007, 07:55 PM
tank was 2 months old. Lights were off when it happened, temps never go above 80. It's a known problem with JBJ tanks due to the bending of the glass. Always happens at the corners. They need to use thicker glass.

Percula9
11/04/2007, 10:46 PM
I have never seen that happen to a tank before. I think this is what can happen to tempered glass. There must be a defect in the glass at the molecular level.

seapug
11/04/2007, 10:57 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11118250#post11118250 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Percula9
I have never seen that happen to a tank before. I think this is what can happen to tempered glass. There must be a defect in the glass at the molecular level.

Well you have now....:rollface:

xian
11/04/2007, 11:06 PM
I have seen this before usually it happens to bowfronts. It looks to me like this has something to do with the bent glass being weak.

ccoral
11/05/2007, 12:20 PM
a good lesson on why to buy from a LFS as warranty issues can be dealt with fast and with CS

seapug
11/05/2007, 12:25 PM
yep, I'm always one to defend LFS's when the complaining threads start. I guess the Karma came back 'round.