PDA

View Full Version : Salt mixing issue

Thinslis
11/04/2007, 08:17 AM
I have a 55g tank that I keep full of mixed saltwater all the time, it has a MJ-1200 with mod and a MJ-900 for water circulation and a heater.

I change 10-15g a week.

There seems to be some "gunk" building up in my mixing tank.

Am I premixing too much water? or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,

virginiadiver69
11/04/2007, 09:13 AM
Are you able to keep the tank covered? If not it would be a good idea. Do whatever you can to keep light out of the tank. I do get a brownish "gunk" at the water line of my salt water bucket also. I have heard this problem raised many times with no real cause, solution or concern given. What ever it is, it's in the salt because I don't get this with my fresh water bucket.

Thinslis
11/04/2007, 09:28 AM
The tank is not covered but I can if that will help.

The tank also gets a lot of light from the fuge light. I can blackout the tank if that will also help.

virginiadiver69
11/04/2007, 09:37 AM
You will probebly still notice some of the gunk at the water line but covering will eliminate/reduce contamination from the air and algea from the light.

Capt_Cully
11/04/2007, 09:43 AM
You should also increase the flow. I used to keep mine covered and still had the gunk forming. I added more powerheads and have never seen it since. I also only keep about 30 gallons on hand instead of keeping it filled to the brim.