PDA

View Full Version : Heres my plans, now find the flaws.

dstoneburg
11/04/2007, 07:43 AM
Well... First I must do the advice part. I like many other newbies decided not to QT. I didnt want not to QTbecause it was too expensive, nor because it took time, or because it seemed complicated. I did not QT for the stupidest reason... I have a 10g QT setup and had it setup when I recieved these fish. The funny thing about SWF.com is you must order $80 to get the free shipping. So me with my 10g QT got 4 fish. Obviously for fish, especial the four I got would no way in hell be crammed into that 10g. So I chanced it, and I lost :(. So I broke down and purchased a 40g QT. Heres the gameplan! Find my faults!

Theres a few things I want to accomplish...
- New subsrate, I have a sand substrate, just a little large and not as white as I would like, Im going for a FOWLR so I want a more white sandbed.
- Re-aquascape
- Rid my system of ick

The plan

#1 - Set up the 40g QT. Heater/HOB
#2 - Fill the the 40g up about 80% with DT water and 20% with new water.
#3 - Transfer all the fish
#4 - Hypo everyone in from DT for about 6 weeks.
#5 - Take the rest of the DT water and put it into bins, take my LR out and place in bins
#6 - Siphon out the crappy substrate
#7 - Add new substrate
#8 - aquascape
#9 - replace remaining DT water back into DT and top-off with new water.
#10 - Leave DT empty for atleast 5 weeks, prolly 6 to ensure dieoff of ick.

The stocklist that is going to either be moved or QT'ed..
- Chocolate starfish
- CBS
- Lunar Wrasse
- Niger Trigger
- Porcupine Puffer
- Koran Angel
- OC clown
- Diamond goby
- Yellow watchman goby(Havnt seen him in a few days not sure if he made it, was very small when I got him).

MinnFish
11/04/2007, 07:57 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11113384#post11113384 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dstoneburg
#2 - Fill the the 40g up about 80% with DT water and 20% with new water.
#9 - replace remaining DT water back into DT and top-off with new water.

Why not use a new batch of water for the QT? The same goes for the DT. This is what i would do. Sorry about the lost. BTW, how many gallons is the DT.

dstoneburg
11/04/2007, 08:36 AM
100g DT. Meh, I figured the water would have some benefcial bateria, also would ensure the QT and DT water is near the same so when they are transfered I wont have to drip acclimate.

virginiadiver69
11/04/2007, 09:00 AM
The only thing I would add..and it is minor (something you may have already thought of) is some PVC elbows in the QT to give your fish some cover. 4" works best.
I agree with using DT water for your QT. The water may have very little beneficial bacteria BUT the fish will be acclimated to it (less stressful).
Speaking of stress...keep a large amount of pre-made salt water on hand for water changes. In order to keep the ammonia down you may be looking at doing this daily. Feed very sparingly and pay special attention to keeping uneaten food cleaned up after every feeding.