PDA

View Full Version : In-Tank Brine Shrimp Hatchery

lossman
11/04/2007, 07:15 AM
Hey Folks

Been a while, but IIII"M BAAAAACK !!! :-)

Curious if anyone knows of a brine shrimp hatchery that you can put in your tank or better, your sump. I'm thinking something that the tank's water would flow through, hence virtually no separate maintenance for it. Also, looking for something where I can grow some of the shrimp to adults.

Thanks

Brett

virginiadiver69
11/04/2007, 09:30 AM
I don't think so. Besides water, you need to keep lots of air bubbles going to keep the cysts separated.

Paintbug
11/04/2007, 10:25 AM
it does work, but far from maintenance free. you still have to clean it after every hatch. then there is the possibility of the cysts to get into the tank. its much easier to use one of the hatcheries that use the 2 liter bottle. you can use a little tank to grow them to adults. but that is a whole different process.

CleveYank
11/04/2007, 11:12 AM
Shrimp hatching is messy and it comes in burst with a bioload concern. Extra nutrient that your display tank can do with out.

It might seem like a pain and extra thing to take care of. Setup a 2 liter bottle style system or like hatchery as Paintbug noted. It's less of a hassle than the myriad of issues that can breakout. Blooms, ammonia, recycle your tank God forbid.
The exception may be. Unless you have a mega system like 500plus gallons with huge skimmers, refugium and do 50 gallon water changes per week.

Back when I was feeding with live brine...I raised them in 10 gallon tank with airstone and light. Algae grew on glass. The hatched brine congregated by the 40 watt bulb that was an inch or so next to one of the side panes of the tank so their harvest was easy. So it was heated, lit, and algae probably helped a little to clean the water and the size of the tank made it easy to siphon out the debris. After 3 to 4 hatches I'd do a total teardown/refill. Plus, I could grow the shrimp out to adult size with very minute additions of flake food.

lossman
11/04/2007, 11:29 AM
Thanks all

Anyone have any articles or instructions on setting up a small (maybe even nano tank) for hatching and raising brine to adulthood. I'd like to feed both babies and adults on occasion.

I'm also thinking that when I do a water change, just start the brine raising tank over using water pulled from the main tank. :-)