PDA

View Full Version : Chrismas early 75 gallon drilled aga Need help!!!

alfieferenzo84
11/04/2007, 12:14 AM
Yeah so i got a 75 gallon all glass tank with the mega flow kit witch is a 1inch downpipe, and a 3/4 return and i am really lost on this! I want to do a fuge only sump so that would be low flow? Below is what i need up up so have at it! Thanks

Flow rate i am doing a 20 gallon fuge so my flow rate after head loss would need to be around 180gph witch will flip the fuge about 12x a hr witch should be okay right? Now will the overflow i got work with that or does it need to be higher? Also i am just doing a fuge only sump now, Later i will make a larger way better sump but for now just a real cheap quick setup to get things going this is what i am setting up!

I need fuge plans i figured somthing simple with a cuple of baffles would work right below is a link to my drawing please advise on this, as i am not sure how much room to leave for overflow/powerout

I am going to use flex tube for now so i guess that is pretty simple on the drain but the pump side how do you get a 1/2 tube off the pump to a 3/4 bulkhead using flex tubing?

Okay i think this is enough for now, i need to atleast get this going soon as my 75 has a nice crack in it so i need to swap tank but have to have a sump ready! Thanks

link to starter fuge last pic

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2571255/6

Scuba_Steve
11/04/2007, 02:18 AM
Ok first of all your flow rate is plenty slow enough for your overflow. Use the overflow calculator on the home page to determine what the overflow can actually handle, but I beleive it is 600gph. Ok for fuge design. IMO, you dont even need the first chamber if your not using a skimmer in this sump. Just drain the water directly into the fuge section, although having a small section in from might collect the detrius making it easier to clean. You could use a bubbletrap also, but at that slow movement speed, I doubt you will need one. Just remember to calculate head loss on your return pump, because if you go with a pump only designed to pump 200gph or so, It might not even pump anything with a 5 foot rise up into the tank.

Scuba_Steve
11/04/2007, 02:21 AM
Opps forgot to address one thing. I would use pvc leaving your return pump. Exit the pump, then immediately use a coupling to move from 1/2" to 3/4". Next use a union, then a ball valve so if you need to clean your pump, disconnecting is a breeze. A false, or true union ball valve would also work nicely. Next put a hose barb on the end to connect to your 3/4" silicone tubing.

alfieferenzo84
11/04/2007, 02:25 AM
well i thought about not using the first baffle but i am thinking the flow will kick up sand everywhere so i thought i could do rubble lr in there to help with bubbles! Never thought about detruis so maybe lr rubble would be a bad idea?

Yeah i know about head loss i have found a few pumps that would meet my needs as follows mag 3,5 quiet 1 1200, rio 1400, all not bad on price either and would give me around 11-17 flip rate, now this is the right rate i wont sense this is just a fuge only sump for now right?

if you look at my last pic on that link you will see i figured volume and all that out and i think 13inch of water would be okay figuring overflow what do you think?

I wanted a dsb that is why i wanted to go with a 22h insted of a 20 long! or do you think that is a total waste of space?

Do you all think i really need a bubble trap before the pump? I could add that no problem! let me know asap please as i want to get this going soon and the tank will have to cure after making it! thanks

edit good thought on that aftert the pump!!!

rkelman
11/04/2007, 06:54 AM
I would do.. first chamber / bubble trap / fuge / return. LR rubble is ok its not going to help with bubbles though. Make sure before you permanently attach the baffles that your sump can handle the water volume when the power is out. Including the entire contents of the megaflow.. All the water inside the black Megaflow will slowly leak back into the sump in the event of a power outage.

alfieferenzo84
11/05/2007, 03:07 AM
mod can delete i took it back to the store dont want all the trouble